Lookout Mountain Circumference Trail

Lookout Mountain Circumference Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, AZ that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible from November until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I'm learning more and more as I hike the trails of Phoenix that what is considered easy is not so much. I agree with a lot of the reviews here that the trail 308 is not easy to follow. There were a few times the trail post and arrows had what appeared to be more than one option. Thankfully I chose the right ones. I was out on a Thursday afternoon between 2-3, and I was alone. Alone as in by myself and no other hikers around. Several parts of the trail were enough that I'm glad I didn't twist an ankle or fall and hurt myself as I would have been on the evening news for a rescue. AllTrails says 2.2 but my tracker said 3 miles and I was out just under an hour. Beautiful, breathtaking views. Not a trail I'll do again unless with a friend. Too isolating to risk injury. Also not a casual day hike for those who are just average hikers.

It's an easy trail to finish. Combine with the summit and it's a great workout

I love this trail. Did it for years and moved further away. Went back today to do the circumference as well as the summit. It is a combination of easy and moderate difficult. I will return again soon.

Nice morning hike - did circumference trail. Not real busy, so I'll definitely do it again! Going to do the summit next time.

The one thing I didn't like about the circumference trail is that the "official" loop trail was difficult to stay on. I turned around halfway because I hit a fork in the trail and couldn't figure out which of the 3 paths in front of me I should take. Overall it was a good time with my dog, just wish it was marked better!

hey, that's pretty good

Easy hike in a nice park. Add in the summit trail for a better outing.

It's easy and it's close to where I love.

Love this mountain. So convenient to get a run in before or after work. Great set of trails depending on how long you want to go too.

Love this mountain.. Can do easy or moderate or hard. A great workout, do all the peaks or a more relaxed walk around the circumference. I do different trails every time I go, so I never get bored. Trails do have a lot of rocks, but just enjoy walking around the park. Average 2.5 - 4 miles each time dependent on if I go up or around. Usually an hour.

Nice short hike. Very easy and nice for a date activity!

Good, easy inner city hike. I like to climb to the top of the summit first, then run down and around the circumference. This is a great short hike to do for exercise purposes, especially before work since it's so quick and easy.

Good easy hike if you don't want the steepness and scrambling. Takes you around the base of all 5 peaks and still gives you a good workout and good view.

This is really nice if you only have an hour to spend. Plus the views are really incredible!

Depending on the book or app you use this trail is 2-4 miles long. There are lots of little trails and at some points it is hard to know for sure that you are on the official trail. My fitness tracker logged about 2.5 miles. (The elevation gain if you are on the circumference trail is definitely NOT 800 feet as Alltrails is listing... I think the books I have are more accurate. One says 400 and the other says 500. Those both seem more plausible because there is a bit of uphill but not that much.)

Beautiful views. Impossible to get lost!!