Kachina Trail

Kachina Trail is a 10.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Flagstaff, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Flagstaff: Drive 7 miles northwest of Flagstaff on US 180 and turn north (right) on the SnowBowl Road (FR 516). Follow this paved road about 7 miles to the Snow Bowl Ski Area. Drive into the first parking lot on the right (south). The Kachina trailhead is located at the south end of the parking lot.

Ups and downs are great when starting, but not pleasurable when returning. Reviews before me described the trail very well.

Easy accessible trail, a lot of ups and downs with some flat stretches going through meadows with beautiful views. The continuing trail after the ridge could be better marked, but definitely a great workout.

This isn't a lung-buster like its relative (Humphrey's Trail) but aside from the long strectch through the meadow, the trail has steady ups and downs through roots and small boulders. That said, you should be fit if you plan to complete this round-trip because it does feel like you're in a 5 hour step class. I enjoyed plenty of solitude during the morning hours, most likely because I started ahead of the pack at 7:30 am. It was busy on my return trip around 10:00am. Still not as busy as Humphrey's.

Beautiful trail, very scenic. Moderate traffic.

Great hike, awesome trail

Awesome views, trail is well marked and moderately difficult. Plenty of wildlife and yes
Wilderness views were great. The only downside
Would be it is a somewhat heavily traveled trail,
mostly in the earlier part of the day.

We only hiked to the first meadow, which isn't too far in. I was with my two year old and one year old(in a carrier). I think it's a little too rocky and steep in parts for their little legs. I ended up carrying my two year old. You go up Snow Bowl Road and there's a big gravel area for parking on your right. Then the trail is tucked far in the southern side of the gravel area. When we got to the meadow the path forked? Not sure if this was a false trail or what, but you take the left fork to follow the main trail. Found that out the hard way and had to hike up hill with a big backpack and toddler with elevation I'm not used to... Anyway, what we saw was beautiful, pretty views of the surrounding area. I will go again without the kiddos, maybe in the fall. Perhaps higher stars by then?

One of my favorites. Beautiful views, visually interesting trail (aspens, boulders, wildflowers), and mild elevation gain. This is a good one to hike and turn around whenever you like. Using a car shuttle works well if you want to go the whole 10 miles one way.

Beautiful views of the Flagstaff sky line and aspen forests. Very easy trail in general and would highly suggest anyone to take the hike.

Beautiful trail. But be careful of lightning! And don't forget your rain gear during the summer monsoon season.

Pretty hike in summer and fall. Pretty yellow Aspen in the fall. Careful during monsoon time- lightening strikes were hitting VERY close!

great hike. very easy had my wife and 5 year old son. aspens were showing full colors. outstanding.

Great day and views of the valley. Wonderful alpine meadows and large groves of majestic aspen and ponderosa pines

I loved the privacy of the trail. Not for beginners. Great hike!

An extremely popular trail in October when the leaves are changing. I don't normally enjoy busy trails, but it was worth it. We were well prepared for cooler weather and as it turns out, too prepared! You will warm up in a hurry. Our boxer enjoyed the trail and there were several other dogs hiking it as well. Awesome views and opportunities for great photos! My kids, ages 11 and 15, really enjoyed it.

This hike is a great day hike. I didn't realize that this hike ended at the Weatherford trail so I continued on until I reached Schultz pass.. So it ended up being almost 14 miles round trip. It was a great hike. You get to walk in the aspens which is exactly what I was looking to do. Recommend this hike to anyone who doesn't want to hike up Humphrey's