Javelina Trail

Javelina Trail is a 5.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great running trail. Very lightly used. I met maybe 8 people on this trail. Highly recommended.

Nice running trail. Be sure to move out of the way for bikers.

Nice mix of ups and downs

Nice running trail

I used to live at South Mountain, two blocks from the trails, and when I did, I went hiking every couple days. Alas, then I moved, and now I have to drive back to hike there, but it's worth the drive! Great hiking. Today I did Javelina, which I had never done before. Today is June 7th, I arrived at 3 pm, and there were no other cars in the trailhead parking lot. The lot is on 46th Street just south of Baseline. I didn't see another soul until near the end of the hike. Alltrails.com shows the trail as difficult, but that is certainly an overstatement. For about the first one mile, the trail meanders gently uphill and down, with no difficulty. After one mile, it approaches a fairly intimidating line of high hills that I did not want to climb! Intelligently, the trail then begins to climb the hill laterally, continuing to a near summit. There, it meets up with Ridgeline, and that is where the climbing really starts! Javelina-Ridgeline is another trail on Alltrails, and I might comment there, too. Anyway, I continued up Ridgeline, and as I say, that is a bit difficult. Rideline offers fantastic city views, plus, on this clear day, a great view of Four Peaks. Ridgeline is where my hike ended, too, as I broke trail a bit and continued down the side of the mountain to join up again with Javelina. I made my own loop! Maybe I also cheated a bit, but I did that just so I could get back. All in all, a good and reasonably challenging hike.

The Javelina trail is a easy/medium trail with a gradual uphill route. It meets up with the ridgeline trail at the top of one of South Mountains hills and turns back east. The ridgeline section of this hike was a moderately harder section following hills up and down along the eastern most ridgeline of the South Mountains. I was able to jog most of the trail with my dog. We really enjoyed the trail and recommend it.