Jacks Canyon Trail

Jacks Canyon Trail is a 13.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from October until April.

Directions from Flagstaff: Drive south 30 miles out of Flagstaff on US 89A to the Rt. 179 intersection in Sedona. Turn left at the traffic light and drive about 7.3 miles to Jacks Canyon Road (FR 793). Follow this road about 3 miles to the trailhead.

Took my 3 year old on this trail and was easy enough she could walk it. The views of course are awesome! Great little hike!

If you can find a spot on the street, then you can make your way down the side of the hill and hike and swim the creek. Once you start to get close to Slide Rock it smells like urine, but if you hike further down the creek a lot less people and although the water is freezing (even in summer) it's refreshing once you lay out on the rock. Pack your stuff in zip log baggies in your pack.

One of mine and my friends' favorite hikes. We frequent the slide rock area right underneath the bridge. Currently looking forward to exploring more of the trails in this system. The water is generally a little bit cold, but after the hike it feels fantastic.

The trailhead is located on Jacks Canyon Rd. but is difficult to find because the signage is covered by trees. Off of Hwy 179 make a right on Jacks Canyon Rd. (if coming from Phoenix). The road begins to curve north before turning into a right again. Once you've hit that right, the trailhead will be about 1.1 miles up on the right-hand side (to the left is a drive into a residence). You will gain most of the elevation of this trail in the last 1.5 miles, after hiking along the canyon wash the entire way. It does seem like a very long journey to reach the spectacular views. To get to the views, after you've reached a small saddle where Munds Trail junction is, go right instead toward the Schnebly Road sign and continue about .25 miles. The one thing you are sure to have on this trail is solitude, and it became obvious to me why. For a Sedona trail, aside from the views at the end, there isn't much to 'wow' you along the route.

Love Oak Creek Canyon! So many different environments in one spot! Loved Slide Rock for swimming, a bit chilly but who doesn't love that in the deserts of AZ! One of my favorite places in AZ.

I hiked up the river, starting SW of Sedona. Beautiful views of old American Indian settlements, similar to ones at Montezuma's Castle (AZ). The river can get frigid - bring extra socks, unless wearing water-proofed socks &/or boots.

Jacks Canyon is on AZ 179 in Oak Creek village, onto FR 793. My son Ron and I made this trip on a fine June day. The hike began through chaparral scrub, and travel through a private ranch land. A few Brahma bulls were incountered that were intimidating. After we quickly got around them, we proceeded up a rough riparian canyon for what seemed the longest time. We thought it would never end. By the time we got about 5 miles up canyon, with 2 miles left to go, my Asthma kicked in and I could not go any further. We returned, slowly back to the car...it was a long week hiking in the Flagstaff/Sedona area. And it was time to go home to RI.