Hunter Trail to Picacho Peak

Hunter Trail to Picacho Peak is a 2.7 mile out and back trail located near Picacho, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

9 minutes ago

Excellent challenging climb, some tough parts but support cables give you a boost and keep it safe.

This was an awesome hike! Loved the technical aspect of the climb up. The cables and scrambling were my favorite parts of this hike.

Great hike even in the fog! You definitely need gloves for the cables. It took us less than 3 hours up and down with some views but with the weather not 360' view. I've been on better days and you get a clear view.

this trail is very much a love,hate,love then hate love again. I would call it a moderate to difficult. totally worth it.

In my opinion, this was a difficult trail. I have no idea why it is rated moderate. It's a combination of scrambling, rock climbing (free form and cable-assisted) and hiking. It's a really fun, involved hike, but not for the faint of heart. You do hike along a cliff edge for awhile. There is a 1400' vertical gain in two miles. I really loved this trail - so fun, but definitely not "moderate". I guess it's all relative. DO bring leather palmed gloves. DO bring plenty of water.

Beginners heed the caution! This isn't a pure hike. It's a hike/climb. Also watch out for the heat. The trail goes up, DOWN then up to the peak. The down part is steep over rocks and there is a cable by the side of the trail. So when you come back, you'll go down, UP, then down. UP=steep up when you're already gassed.

Great hike and very challenging. I'll echo what many have said about wearing gloves and shoes with good grip. I'm a bit of a novice but I'd call this difficult as compared to other moderate trails I've done. The high was 55 today and I still worked up a good sweat. I'd hesitate a tad to hike this again in Warmer weathers.

Amazing hike! Mid December weather was perfect.
This was my first time on this trail, so didn't quite know what to expect. I was a bit surprised by the rock climbing, but the cables were helpful. Overall I didn't find it strenuous, and the view at the top is breathtaking. I do recommend gloves.

My husband and I hiked this trail on a Saturday afternoon and it wasn't crowded at all. We both liked this trail a lot. I'm an avid exerciser and thought it was a fun hike because of the terrain, and a great leg/glute workout. My husband thought this was a difficult hike however he doesn't do much exercise. I will say that every person we saw going up the trail stopped to take a breather or two.
We'd definitely like to hike this one again.

I love this hike because I live in Tucson and it's halfway between my sister in Phoenix and I!! I love how diverse this hike is from the steep incline, to the rope sections and the saddle. Its easy enough almost anyone can get up with some motivation. Dogs are welcome up to the saddle, although I wouldn't take them much farther as they won't be able to get up certain sections, or down for that matter.