Hunter Trail to Picacho Peak

Hunter Trail to Picacho Peak is a 2.7 mile out and back trail located near Picacho, Arizona that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Advanced hike. Easy trail markers. Great views. One of the most enjoyable hikes, in my opinion.

We are average hikers in pretty good shape, and this was a challenge. Mostly up hill, with a few really fun cable sections. As others have stated, leather gloves are highly recommended. You can do it without, but you won't be nearly as confident when holding the steel cables.

Pack a lunch for the top and be sure to take some pictures because it's fantastic!

Time from parking lot to top 1 hour and 11 minutes. Time down 51 minutes.

This was a fun and challenging hike with some surprises. I would agree with the other reviews stating this should be rated hard not moderate.

This was the first time I used a cable system which posed more of a challenge on the way down than up at some points. Consider going backwards not forwards.

Make sure you bring gloves and take time to stop for a bite to eat up top and enjoy the 360 degree views. Definitely worth the drive down if you're in Phoenix.

This was a good hike. Not overly difficult but there were a few spots that you need to look at what you're doing. If you keep your eyes open you might see some unique animals in the area.

I'm not sure what the criteria is for easy, moderate and hard but this was definitely a hard hike. Great hike but hard.

Great hike! Can be a little challenging at times but it was a lot of fun!

Loved the trail! Definitely a beautiful view!

Tyler, Emily and I hiked up 1800 feet and 2 miles to get to the summit. We had to pull ourselves up using the anchored cables at several places. It was truly an amazing hike. The first mile will test your stamina, straight up the side of the mountain, but when you get to the back side the fun really starts to begin. See my video of our day on the mountain:

Picacho Peak Summit Hike.

3 minutes of SCARY on Picacho:

Excellent challenging climb, some tough parts but support cables give you a boost and keep it safe.

This was an awesome hike! Loved the technical aspect of the climb up. The cables and scrambling were my favorite parts of this hike.

Great hike even in the fog! You definitely need gloves for the cables. It took us less than 3 hours up and down with some views but with the weather not 360' view. I've been on better days and you get a clear view.

this trail is very much a love,hate,love then hate love again. I would call it a moderate to difficult. totally worth it.

In my opinion, this was a difficult trail. I have no idea why it is rated moderate. It's a combination of scrambling, rock climbing (free form and cable-assisted) and hiking. It's a really fun, involved hike, but not for the faint of heart. You do hike along a cliff edge for awhile. There is a 1400' vertical gain in two miles. I really loved this trail - so fun, but definitely not "moderate". I guess it's all relative. DO bring leather palmed gloves. DO bring plenty of water.

Beginners heed the caution! This isn't a pure hike. It's a hike/climb. Also watch out for the heat. The trail goes up, DOWN then up to the peak. The down part is steep over rocks and there is a cable by the side of the trail. So when you come back, you'll go down, UP, then down. UP=steep up when you're already gassed.