Hunter Trail to Picacho Peak

Hunter Trail to Picacho Peak is a 2.7 mile out and back trail located near Picacho, AZ that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

My husband and I hiked this trail on a Saturday afternoon and it wasn't crowded at all. We both liked this trail a lot. I'm an avid exerciser and thought it was a fun hike because of the terrain, and a great leg/glute workout. My husband thought this was a difficult hike however he doesn't do much exercise. I will say that every person we saw going up the trail stopped to take a breather or two.
We'd definitely like to hike this one again.

I love this hike because I live in Tucson and it's halfway between my sister in Phoenix and I!! I love how diverse this hike is from the steep incline, to the rope sections and the saddle. Its easy enough almost anyone can get up with some motivation. Dogs are welcome up to the saddle, although I wouldn't take them much farther as they won't be able to get up certain sections, or down for that matter.

I've always wanted to conquer this Peak! Today was the day. I'm a short girl so this trail was difficult for myself. Doable, but difficult.

Nice trail, about half of it in the shade which is convenient particularly in summer. We walked up Sunset Vista Trail to the peak and took Hunter Trail back down. Short and steep hike, with several switchbacks and cables. Very nice, rather hard than moderate (in the end). Bring gloves (I didn't have any and now have blisters on my hand), enough water and start early to avoid the heat.

Surprised that this trail is only rated Moderate! The section to get to the summit is some what strenuous, very do-able, but strenuous! I was so surprised how sore I was for days after this! Very good hike with a great 360 view at the top!

Personally thought this trail was difficult. Enjoyed the cables on the way up, make sure to bring gloves. Beautiful view on top of the peak. Would definitely do it again good for upper arm strengthening

Great challenging short hike. Climbing from the beginning. easy to get demoralized at the saddle, but really enjoyed the hike and views.

It was fun exciting not crowded good time

I am 51 yrs old, I have driven by Picacho Peak 100's of times and finally got to hike the mountain. The photos of the cables make it very intimidating, but on the way down or out, the cables became a blessing and I was happy they were there. I am sore today (hiked on Saturday), my quads are on fire, but would have been even more so if not for the cables. I would recommend this hike, but you do need to be in somewhat good shape. Definitely capable of doing lots of steps/stairs.

This was a fun and challenging hike

One of the best hikes in Arizona. Great views, and the cable runs give some extra variety and challenge to make this one fun. Probably not for the everyday leisure hiker, but it's a short enough climb to be accessible to anyone in reasonable shape. Just be sure to bring lots of water and some gloves.

Fairly short but strenuous hike. Very steep climbs with the help of steel cables. Incredible views at the top! Well worth it! I've done it twice and plan on taking my kids up it when they're old enough.

great hike ..

Challenging when we climbed straight up. Great 360 degree view at top.

What a fun hike! If you want to feel like Indiana Jones, or an old miner, this hike is just for you. Adventure at ever turn, views unparalleled, and a great elevation gain.