Humphrey's Peak

Humphrey's Peak is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Flagstaff: Drive north on US 180 for 7 miles to FR 516, the Snow Bowl Road. Drive 7.4 miles on this paved road to the lower parking lot of the Snow Bowl facility. The trailhead is located at the north end of the parking lot.

Hike was great, from parking lot it is about 11 miles their and back. Winds weren't to bad, if you thought they were bad you should hike Boundary peak mid December.... that's intense.

This trail will beat you up! I hike La Luz in Abq several times per year and this jagged rocky trail is similar but tougher thanks to the volcanic geology of Humphreys. The saddle is only 2/3rds to the summit, but at that point you're committed to several false peaks before bagging the top of Arizona. Don't make the Arizonans upset by hiking off trail into their only chunk of tundra.

The hardest hike I have done 'yet' I left at about 11am and didn't return back until 6pm. I got down right before the sunset. I packed light, I brought a DSLR camera 3 snacks and a water. Once I got to the top it was such an amazing view of the highest point in Arizona. You can see the grand canyon and much more. The time I went the winds were super intense I would say it was 50-70mph winds that I was being pushed by the winds, so I didn't stay on the top long. And there is a few false summits so don't stop until you see the sign. A few notes: Plan a weekend to get used to the climate because the elevation can kick your butt. Bring plenty of food and water. Bring a wind breaker for the top. Bring a camera/phone for memories. And eat a big meal before and after. And get an early start.

Incredible!

Great time! Defiantly harder then expected with the elevation... especially when your from San Diego! There seams to be another loop that goes to the other side to locket meadows... maybe next time!

So worth it, making it to the top. I finally made it on my third try. I started late on the other one and was too late to make it to the top. So, I had to come down, and thank God for one guy who actually came down with me. By the time we got back to our car, it was dark. Must hike this mountain!

Such an awesome hike! Being from Florida I am glad I acclimated in Flagstaff for a few days. I do not get to hike that often, but found this trail challenging but very doable. My advice is to bring plenty of water, food (you will need the energy boost), and good shoes. The pain goes away when you touch that sign. Happy trails!

This hike was harder than what I expected, definitely a good workout. Strong winds on top, make sure you take lots water and something to snack on, long hike. The view on top makes it all worth it.

firstly this is not a 9.5 miler...closer to 11 according to the GPS...but overall one of the BEST hikes ive done...awesome views

This was a difficult hike. The wind was super strong making it difficult to get to the top. Remember to bring gloves and a hat it's cold up towards the peak

Long trail to the top of AZ well worth the pain.