Holbert Trail to Dobbins Lookout

Holbert Trail to Dobbins Lookout is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Start out at the main entrance to South Mountain and make a left past the vistor's center. Go to the end of the road to the beginning of Holbert Trail. Get to the top and make a right to Dobbins Lookout. This trail is challenging at first. Inclines will definitely get your heart beat going. It is worth it get to the Lookout point. Good views of the city and the television tower on top of the mountain.

16 minutes ago

Great hike in town that's more Moderate than Hard.

17 minutes ago

I love this trail

One of my favorite hikes in Phx. A kick butt workout with amazing views as a reward. Bring plenty of water!

Wonderful hike winding through picturesque canyon. I would rate this a moderate hike with gradual elevation change and a beautiful view at the end!

We have gone this a trail a few times. It's good. Good work out.

Amazing view and adventures trail with small animals to view.

Great morning hiking at 4:30 am.

Great hiking trail. Fairly quiet and easy to navigate. I would rate the difficulty as 2.5/5... definitely more of a moderate trail. None of the sections are particularly steep or challenging. It's very peaceful in the canyon as you are hiking up. I agree with other reviewers that the summit it somewhat spoiled by people who drive up. The lookout hut is awesome!

I did this trail as part of a larger hike to the end of Holbert trail and part of the National trail. If you are looking for a pretty Arizona hike with moderate elevation rise. This is a good one. I went around 3 pm and did not see a lot of other hikers. On the way back down towards the end I did see a few more. This is a great hike for exercise and many people were using it as such. The additional traffic was not a big deal. The path is well marked and fairly clean. I brought gaiters but did not use them. Only got one small rock in my shoe. You will want to bring water and use sun screen. Good hike.

Love south mountain.

A moderate in dificulty, nice hike with great views... until we reached the lookout. We weren't familiar with the Dobbins lookout but decided to take it as our almost 4 yr old son looked at it from the distance as a place where he wanted to go. Bad idea, the lookout was crowded and noisy (we went on a Sunday)... not the nice, relaxing ending to a long hike (long to us because we had a 4 yr old setting the pace) that we had expected. It took us almost 4 hours to complete but we had a kid with us. We'll come back for sure but avoid the lookout next time.

Good hike with fantastic views. I'd rate it as moderate not hard

I hiked on Sunday, which is known as "Silent Sunday" on the paved road and no cars can drive up to the lookout. A good option for those who struggled with the crowds of people and vendors up top. There were maybe a dozen or so other hikers that we passed along the way and only 4 people up top with us once we reached the lookout. Very peaceful rest after a fairly tough hike. It wasn't too hard, just enough to make it feel like exercise! Bring enough water though, especially if you don't start early. We started at 7:30 and came down around 9:45 and passed people just starting up - not a good idea in AZ.

I was super excited to hike this trail with my 2yr old daughter on my back... It was pretty difficult and is not 4.1 miles long its 2.5 miles each way... Nothing incredibly terrible. The trial is not well marked we went off trail a couple of times. It was 90F and I drank 100 Oz of water by the time we hit the top and ended up drinking my 33oz reserve on the way down... After getting to the top I quickly realized there is a parking lot up there and that I could have just driven up and done a hike somewhere more remote instead..That annoyed me a bit.. I hike to get away from people and on this hike I hiked so I could get close to a Jewelery flea market at the top.. The trail is littered with Broken glass and trash... I probably won't ever hike this again...

The trail is moderate to hard in difficulty. The first part of the trail not marked very well. We went off trail but were able to spot where we needed to be. The trail is maintained only by the daily foot traffic. There are many spots where the trail is very rugged. We got a very good workout. The views are spectacular throughout the hike. The view from the Dobbins lookout very panoramic. I will definitely hike the Holbert trail again.

Great hike! Strenuous, but would be so much more rewarding if you couldn't just drive up to dobbins lookout. Busy at the lookout with inexperienced hikers, people selling stuff, and lots, and LOTS of trash. So sad.