Holbert Trail to Dobbins Lookout

Holbert Trail to Dobbins Lookout is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Start out at the main entrance to South Mountain and make a left past the vistor's center. Go to the end of the road to the beginning of Holbert Trail. Get to the top and make a right to Dobbins Lookout. This trail is challenging at first. Inclines will definitely get your heart beat going. It is worth it get to the Lookout point. Good views of the city and the television tower on top of the mountain.

Love! Period.

perfect day for hike

Wow! Really enjoyed this hike! I was so intimidated at first but was able to conquer it! Took 3 hours round trip with plenty of stops on the way up! The way up was such a workout! All up hill with rocks to climb over. I definitely would recommend going early in the morning there was still a lot
Of shade around 8:00am so it wasn't too bad. The views along the way was great! The best at the top of course! Try it out!

I can see the hard justification for this trail (I would rate it a more tough moderate but....). Here are my reasons......the first .53 miles of the trail are more of a desert stroll, not tough at all. The remainder 1.75-2 miles is where all the elevation gain happens. The trail is 1 long slow elevation gain. Not many flat spots once you get going, just a slow steady gain until the final uphill push to Dobbins tower. Amazing views from the top but your hikers high is quickly crushed by the tourist around you in crocs with selfie sticks around every corner at the top. Still a great hike, bring plenty of water.

I loved this trail today. Well marked, just the right amount of workout and beautiful scenery. I wouldn't rate it as hard..it's more of moderate. There were young children hiking it. Brought a gallon of water, and made sure my phone was charged 100%.. took lots of pictures

Great views and amazing amount of shade if you go at a daunting time. It's a nice trail for working out because you can park at the bottom or at the top to diversify your journey.

Great hike in town that's more Moderate than Hard.

I love this trail

One of my favorite hikes in Phx. A kick butt workout with amazing views as a reward. Bring plenty of water!

Wonderful hike winding through picturesque canyon. I would rate this a moderate hike with gradual elevation change and a beautiful view at the end!

We have gone this a trail a few times. It's good. Good work out.

Amazing view and adventures trail with small animals to view.

Great morning hiking at 4:30 am.

Great hiking trail. Fairly quiet and easy to navigate. I would rate the difficulty as 2.5/5... definitely more of a moderate trail. None of the sections are particularly steep or challenging. It's very peaceful in the canyon as you are hiking up. I agree with other reviewers that the summit it somewhat spoiled by people who drive up. The lookout hut is awesome!

I did this trail as part of a larger hike to the end of Holbert trail and part of the National trail. If you are looking for a pretty Arizona hike with moderate elevation rise. This is a good one. I went around 3 pm and did not see a lot of other hikers. On the way back down towards the end I did see a few more. This is a great hike for exercise and many people were using it as such. The additional traffic was not a big deal. The path is well marked and fairly clean. I brought gaiters but did not use them. Only got one small rock in my shoe. You will want to bring water and use sun screen. Good hike.