Holbert Trail

Holbert Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, AZ that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, walking, and horses. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great exercise. Lots of people on the trail, lots of dogs NOT on leashes :/ Absolutely lovely up there. My favorite local trail.

Great trail. The maintenance is very nice. Tons of parking and easy to find. Hiked on a Monday. Hot in the sun. At top there were still lots of people that drove up. Only 3-4 other hikers. The lookout is awesome but I could see it being over crowded on a weekend.

Awesome Sunday hike!

Very nice trail, not very busy on a weekday. I only hiked the first mile, mainly did it to see the petroglyphs.

busy on the weekends, ending is a bit of a letdown

I would rate this moderate. Nice trail with nice views as you go up the mountain.

love it on week days very few people

Holbert Trail is a great all-around trail, something for everyone. Good workout, interesting scenery and beautiful views. Watch for petroglyphs throughout Box Canyon at the beginning of the trail. Lots of easy parking, too.

I and two others did this trail yesterday. As we were climbing upward, The City of Phoenix Park Rangers and Conservation Crew were repairing the trail which is a good sign that the trails throughout South Mountain Preserve are being maintained. I enjoy this hike immensely and encourage those that enjoy hiking mountain trails that this is one you'll like.

Did Holbert again today. Hadn't been there in a year. Actually, today I did Holbert-National-Kiwanis. That is a 6 mile loop, beginning and ending at parking near the South Mountain Environmental Education Center. Holbert is moderate to difficult. It is difficult enough that children should not be on it. It is moderate enough to be manageable with a little effort. Maybe a lot! Fairly tough trail anyway. There is an unnamed lookout about 1 mile up that is a good stopping point and resting spot. It provides beautiful views of the city from east to west. Looking east there is even a view of Four Peaks on clear days. Past that lookout and at about 2 miles up there is a turn off to the Dobbins Extension, which is a great destination all by itself. Continuing past that turn, Holbert traipses through unmarked territory until it meets the summit road where it joins National going both east and west. That is only 2,2 miles according to my pedometer. Going west on National from there is fantastic as the trail passes directly under the radio towers which are viewable from nearly anywhere in Phoenix. Holbert is completely uphill the whole way, but National there turns mostly downhill, offering a relief from Holbert. National also crosses the summit road, where it meets Telegraph Pass trail, which heads south to near Ahwatukee. There is a comfortable park bench right there which makes for some pleasant seating. National is split there between the trail from Holbert and the trail continuing west a little ways up the road. From my experience, that is where National gets hard, Kiwanis also meets the road there, and that is an easy downhill hike from there. Anyway, Holbert is a challenging trail that provides an outlet to various other trails. It is part of the great hiking at South Mountain.

I have done Holbert/Dobbins Trail twice and found this trail to be moderate to difficult. The last time I did this trail was in November of 2014 as part of the Phoenix Summit Challenge I don't recommend this trail to novice hikers, as with previous comments, it is steep, rocky and exerting.

Great trail. Challenging enough to keep the interest and spectacular views. It does have some steep parts, but after each one it seems the scenery rewards you. The wife and I will hit it again for sure

I have done Holbert several times. I find it to be quite difficult! Maybe just me, but it's a steep climb over sharp rocks. Or, at least for the first half or so! There is a little unnamed lookout midway up at around 4 miles from the base. That's a good stopping point, and that's actually where the trail starts to get pretty easy. Past that there is a turn to the Dobbins Lookout, which is fantastic. That's a great destination in itself. Worth the hike all by itself. Continuing further on Holbert, there may be another two miles or so through mostly unmarked terrain. Eventually, Holbert ends at a road and there is meets up with the National trail, which is also excellent. A very challenging hike, err, at least in my opinion, is Holbert-National-Ranger. I did 14.8 miles on that course one day beginning and ending on 15th avenue south of dobbins. I did that twice. First time it almost killed me! Second time I planned better and did better. There is great hiking at South Mountain.

Great hike and a nice trails. It's a steady incline, you can make it more or less difficult depending on how fast you want to go. I went to the top of Dubblins lookout but you can chose to go further.
There is plenty of parking for this trail if you go to the front park past the museum.

Summary: Holbert Trail to Dobbins Lookout. 3.8mi, about 1 hour, 928′ elevation, easy navigation, easy/moderate difficulty, pretty good hike (3 stars) | Explored my local mountains which I have neglected for the past oooh, 7 years. South Mountain is a great little range which outlines south Phoenix with a bunch of different trails. For those who like Camelback, this is a similarly great hike; however, there’s no scrambling and less Lulu (my two favorite parts about Camelback). You follow the trail up from the parking lot (yay, no approach) and scale your way up through a nice mountain retreat away from the city. I took the Dibbins Lookout turn off, but you can follow the Holbert trail until the end. Quick hike which was completed in about 1 hour at a determined walking pace. I’ll be using this trail to train for Denali in May 2014. You can also mountain bike this, which I’ll investigate in the future. Lots of families hiking over Thanksgiving weekend. | Water: 0.5L | Gear: Merrell Trail Gloves, Lululemon.