Hermit Trail

Hermit Trail is a 15.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tuba City, AZ that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Amazing hike in on Hermit, two nights at Hermit Creek, then out Hermit. 6 hours in 6.5 hours out. My family of 5 all felt accomplished and sore afterwards. Will be hard to top this one.

This trail is great. It's a very different view of the canyon than what most will get at south kaibab or BA. Definitely recommended. Not always well maintained. Very rocky. Stable water sources.

Super famous trail. I was by myself with no plans of backpacking, so I just went a few miles down. Great views, lots of elevation change. It's a great time and a great place t experience the canyon.

Great trail if you are looking for a challenge. Very steep in sections, especially the 2 miles from the trailhead and the cathedral stair. The ruggedness of the trail WILL slow you down, so do not expect to keep your normal hiking pace. Plan ahead and start early give yourself plenty of time. The scenery is breathtaking and it is one of the most stunning and awe inspiring hikes I have done.

I hiked the hermit down in to monument creek via the tonto trail, then to Indian Gardens, then back up the bright angel trail in the spring of 2014. epic hike. hermit can be technical as it is generally not maintained by the park.

Going down is almost worse than climbing out. Recommend your pack be 30lbs or lighter if possible, mine was 40lbs with water. The last 2.2 miles from Santa Maria Spring to the rim are pretty steep and took me almost as much time as the 6+ miles from Hermit Creek camp.

My son and hiked down the Hermit Trail as part of a 26-mile loop including Tonto and Boucher trails. The trailhead is located at the far end of the scenic drive on the South Rim. It is accessible only by the tour buses *except* if you have a backcountry permit for this area you receive the gate code and can drive your vehicle to the parking area at the trailhead.

A popular day hike is down Hermit to Santa Maria Spring, about 5 miles round trip. Don't let that mileage fool you, this is not a simple hike. It is very steep in places, but very well maintained and heavily traveled. Traffic thins out significantly after Santa Maria Spring for the remaining 2+ miles to Hermit Camp along Hermit Creek. A permit is required to camp here, and camping is only allowed in the designated camp area. Hermit Creek was flowing strong (March) for ample water collection and there is a composting toilet available here. You can hike 1+ mile down Hermit Creek to the Colorado River (although we did not).

I highly recommend this trail and can't wait to do it again, but it is not simple and you need to be prepared with proper footwear, clothing and hydration. Hiking poles help a lot also. The temperatures will increase as you go down in elevation from the rim, be prepared.

I have this trail, and variations of it, a total of five times, all when I was in my 20's and 30's. Tough, demanding, and potentially lethal. This should only be done by the experienced and well conditioned hiker.

That being said, I want to do it again . I hope to assemble an experienced group to do this in 2013. Doing another Grand Canyon hike this Fall and finished a 14K peak earlier this week, so I am serious if others wish to participate. Most likely Springtime if logistics work out.

This was our first trip into the GC and the trail is not to be taken lightly. Going into the canyon is hard, steep and hot so enough water is critical. Coming out is both an emotional and physical challenge. My wife fell on the loose rocks and boulders on the way in and fractured her tailbone - she was life flighted out by helicopter and I completed the hike back out in 6 1/2 hours for the 7 1/2 mile hike. Please be very prepared with the right equipment, enough water and in great physical shape. Otherwise it will not be a fun memory. I am proud to say I did it.

This was my first hike down into the GC. The trail was difficult in some places and I'll be the first to admit I did not understand what I was getting myself into. Looking back I'm glad I did this trail. I can say that most trails are easy compared to this one.

Some places the trail was difficult to locate other places the hiking was down right mean (think cathedral stairs). Water was scarce to nonexistent before & after the one watering area on the trail. If you drink a lot like I do you need to be prepared for that. But it was the best workout I've ever had.

If you're a first time GC hiker I would not recommend this trail unless you are in excellent shape & have experience hiking difficult trails. Just know that 9 miles in the GC often seems much longer.

This was my introduction to the GCNP. It was raining, I mean flooding, and the Park Service put up the trail closed sign . . . after I was a mile down the trail. I was surprised to see the difficulty rating, until I remember the boulders. It was fun, and the canyon looks much different under rainclouds. I did it again two years later, different weather, but we started late so most was in the dark.

Bring plenty of water.

A very challenging trail. Heading down was more strenuous and harder on the knees-use good poles. The trail's not marked well, so understand geologic landmarks. If heading to Hermit's Rapids, start early and when you get to the creek, there's still a mile and a half to go without any signs, The remains of the Santa Fe camp/tram are interesting. This is not a hike to take on in the summer-in March it was warm. The return trip was easier, the hardest part being the last 2-3 miles of switchbacks to the trailhead.

This trail is very rocky and steep - not to be taken lightly. Just remember, walking down is easy - but you always have to come back up!