Heart of Rocks Loop

Heart of Rocks Loop is a 6.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near San Simon, AZ that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Really will maintained! Up hill hike all the way in, the turnaround back out is downhill. Awesome rock formations! Took me and my husband 3.5 hours to complete. Saw quite a bit of deer too!

This has to be the most well maintained and unique trails in southern AZ. Definitely worth the trip

There is no entrance fee to this National Monument. At the visitor center, we learned that the road leading into the park was closed for maintenance. We took the Sarah Deming Trail from the visitor center to the Heart of Rocks Trail. The Heart of Rocks Trail features the most incredibly unique rock formations! You will see Thor's Hammer, Duck Rock, the famous Balancing Rock, and more. The Heart of Rocks loop is about a mile in length and an easy hike. (The trail to the Heart of Rocks, the Sarah Deming Trail, was about 3.5 mi. each way- a slight uphill grade the entire way.)

One of my favorite hikes in the Southwest! The trails were less crowded than a lot of the parks closer to Tucson. There was a decent amount of snow and ice-pack on the trails, so you had to watch your step. The views are incredible and very unique.

One of the best hikes we have taken. The rock formations are breath taking!

fly fishing

One of the best hikes out there! Chiricahua National Monument is one of the GEMS of the National Park Service! This hike contains a great deal of diversity in scenery and there is rarely anyone else on the trail!

An out of the way park to get to but well worth the drive. Car camping spots are great. I was pressed for time and couldn't spend the whole day here. Hopped the shuttle that takes you to the top and hit the big loop trail that hits a lot of the high points. absolutely beautiful. Break it up short or long hikes this is a must see.

A must see!! I started this hike at 7:30am at Lower Rhyolite Trailhead from the Visitor's Center, and completed Lower Rhyolite, Sarah Deming and Heart of Rocks Loop trails (see attached pdf "Heart of Rocks" under strenuous hikes). It was very chilly and breezy which I didn't expect this time of year, so I recommend taking a light hoodie for the morning. I consider the hike to be in the "moderate" rating instead of strenuous if you're used to getting exercise in 2 to 3 times a week. The Heart of Rocks is the ultimate treat at the top. Some of these giant rocks have taken the form of characters, like Punch and Judy, Camel's Head, and Duck on a Rock, and they are all marked along the 1-mile loop. Every where you turn will take your breath away. These trails will take you longer than usual as you stop and take in all the wonder. Watch your steps!

This is a really gorgeous hike. I wouldn't say it's strenuous--but I hike a lot. I started at Masai and went down which meant I went up, up, up a lot towards the end, but I was glad I did it that way (harder). The grottoes, by far, were my personal favorite. I took some amazing pictures. I saw some lizards but the wildlife minded it's own business yesterday (I did hear there was a bear with cubs nearby). Ran into some birders from SV and Benson that had no clue where they were going so that gave me a laugh. I did this fast--under four hours. And no, the visitor's center doesn't sell coke--I was dying for something sweet. But they said if they could actually get someone out there to service a machine they might consider it. So, there's hope.