H-1 to H-4 Trails Loop

H-1 to H-4 Trails Loop is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Glendale, AZ that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, birding, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Thunderbird Park in Glendale, AZ consists of 5 H-Trails, named so because of the Hedgpeth Hills through which they wind. H-1: One-Way - 5.0 miles H-1a: Loop trail - 2.5 miles - 400 foot elevation gain - H-2: One-Way - 1.35 miles - 385 foot elevation gain (accessed via H-1 trail) - ascends Pinnacle Peak - connects with the H-1 to form a loop H-3: One-Way - 2.6 miles - 550 foot elevation gain - 1.5 hours est time - connects with the H-1 to form a loop H-4: One-Way - 1.3 miles - 350 foot elevation gain - .1.5 hours est time - connects with the H-1 via spur trail H-4a or H-4b to form a loop H-5: One-Way - 0.75 miles There are a number of "spur trails" that connect the various main trails. Although the trails are described as "Out and Back" or "One-Way" and the distances show that scenario, most people the use this trail network take a combination of trails that form an overall loop. To get one's true distance traveled, a pedometer is needed. Overall, there are a total of over 20 miles of trails in the network through the Hedgpeth Hills.

Easy and effortless:)

The trail is heavily traveled. But the view of the rolling hills and sun set make up for it! Park ranger yelled at me for being there past sun set. Isn't that why we go, to see the sunset??? Gimme a break.

Easy beginner trail

good but technical

My favorite nearby exercise spot.

The map was really confusing and somehow we ended up on a much harder trail. Awesome views tho!

busy trail... but nice easy to follow wide trail. easy to share. can make this trail as easy or hard as youd lime get in a good work out or just enjoy being outside. most "intense" before you get to the summit. many places at top to rest and enjoy the view.

Pretty easy trail, brought my dog along.. The most difficult part is the beginning other than that if you have the stamina you can definitely jog it

First part is the hardest, the rest was enjoyable on a mountain bike. I'll be biking this trail again.

This was a pretty easy hike but its uphill right in the beginning so that is the hardest part. We came to the trail from 59th ave. There is little to no shade so bring plenty of water. When you park, just realize there are SEVERAL trails here so you really can make your own path. We ended up going onto several different trails on our hike. We wanted to get to the top vs going around the base of the mountain so we started on the H-1 trail and switched to the H-4A trail up the mountain and back down to meet the H-1 trail back to the parking lot. The names are different on the trail and I'm blanking on them at the moment. I think the H-4 trail was called the sunrise trail (but don't quote me on that one). Pretty nice trail for being so close to town and when I am more in shape, its a pretty good trail to run on. There are bathrooms and they were clean and well stocked when we were there.

enjoyed this trail with my mom & 2 sons(6&4) today!