Groom Creek Loop Trail

Groom Creek Loop Trail is a 9.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Prescott, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Prescott: Take Gurley Street east to Mt. Vernon Avenue. Take Mt. Vernon (Senator Highway, Forest Road 52) south for approximately 6.5 miles to Groom Creek. Continue on FR 52A for 4.5 miles. You will have just passed the entrance to Goldwater Lake before coming to FR 52A. Turn left onto FR 52A and travel for about four miles to the picnic area.

Great trail! Only hiked 3 miles in. Didnt make it to the lookout tower. Had to turn back to catch the sunset. Will complete it next time! Beautiful! Even ran into 6 bucks leaping out in front of us at twilight.

We really liked this trail, saw a lot of deer and it was moderately well wooded so shade was available for hotter months. We also saw a coyote as soon as we left on the road that was large and fluffy compared to the Phoenix ones. If you go near evening you will definitely see a lot of deer though and it was a beautiful hike. May have taken a longer path by accident but gps said over 10.5 miles.

Great hike! Scenery is beautiful!

One of the better trails we've been on thus far. Worth the pain:-)

I want to first state that this is a very beautiful hike. So much to see and lots of wild life: deer, birds, horned toads, and lizards. The app states the loop is 6.6 miles it is actually closer to 10, my friend and I were not prepared for this, so please plan accordingly. We hiked counter-clockwise. I think calling this trail moderate is fair. The scenery was amazing the watch tower was really neat, we went inside it as its welcome to visitors. The views were awesome! I highly recommend this trail, just prepare for the 10 miles. :)

Started at the bottom, great trail. The fire tower at the top was a treat.

Beautiful trail and just the perfect amount of challenging. I did as others suggested and did the loop counter clockwise and I would definitely suggest it. The views going up are stunning this way, and makes for an easy descent. Wear good boots especially for coming down because there are some rocky parts! Saw only a few people on the trail and everyone was very friendly! In fact all the dogs I saw on the trail, including me, had a leash on! Love responsible dog owners. Would definitely do it again!

Nice hike, somewhat challenging if you are not use to the higher elevations. I had fun, also note there is an outhouse at the high point of the hike (I love when they add outhouses to midpoints on hikes!). Rocky and steep incline, at least the route we took. Pretty good views all the way up and back down. Also be mindful of weather, it is much colder than the lower lying deserts due to higher elevation.

Nice shady hike. Definitely take it counter clockwise, so the incline is less challenging at the end of the hike.

Very exhausting at the end but all worth it. This trail should not be rated easy more as moderate. And it's approximately a 10 mile hike, took us 4 and a half hours to finish the trail and that's with having a few rest stops. ❤️❤️❤️

Love this trail. Few words of advice when taking this one on.

1. The milage is off, this trail is a loop and is aprox 10 miles. It's just under 5m to get to the lookout, another 5m finishing the loop or heading back...

2. Direction. My advice is for hikers to go clockwise and bikers to go counterclockwise. I do this trail on a mountain unicycle so I fit in with the Bikes.
Reasons...
The North face (first half clockwise) is steeper in my opinion and more grueling, also in the shade. So hikers would like to take the shade up and the leisure better views on the way down.

As for bikers, Unicyclists, anyone with wheels... Counterclockwise is less of a climb, and the North face coming down is a great downhill run.

Hope this helps and to see you on the trail!

Cody Williams

One of my favorites

What a great day hike. The trail comes with a lot of shade and pines around to keep you cool. We didn't see that many people on the trail on the day we went.

The Groom Creek Loop has great variety. Taking it clockwise you climb through granite-studded pine forest with lots of shade. About forty-five minutes to an hour in you’ll see a large juniper tree right beside the trail. A few minutes later there is a small saddle where many pines have been sheared off at about thirty feet, by the wind, I guess. The trail grows a little steeper at that point, but not too bad. The trail is always clear and well marked. The Forest Service uses “307” and if you follow those signs, you can’t go wrong.

After reaching the summit of Spruce Mountain, the trail heads toward a more southern exposure and the environment grows more arid. Most of the trees now are oaks, though you’ll still see some big ponderosa pines (and Abert's squirrels keeping an eye on you from their heights). Eventually you reach a gently rolling part of the trail and wend your way back to the parking area.

In late October, we saw some flowers in late bloom (thistle and fleabane) along with many grasses putting out their seed. Although it was a beautiful Sunday, we say only two groups of other hikers. No mountain bikers or horses, though they are welcome on the trail. There is some question about how long the trail is, I'll just say it took me 4-1/2 hours with rest stops.

Advertised as 8.7M, but closer to about 9.6M. Starting from the trailhead off to the left from the parking lot takes about 3.6M to the top of the mountain and from there, it's 6M down. I recommended taking the shorter, steeper route to the left first: hard work is out of the way, and the 6M hike is enjoyable on the way down!

Also, no fee required.

자연의 냄새와 노루 새 등등 아주 좋았음.타워에서 경치 구경 못한것이 아쉬움

Groom Creek is a well-maintained loop trail. As the trail approaches the summit of Spruce Mountain, be sure to take a detour to the fire lookout further up the mountain. This is definitely not a "difficult" trail. I would rate it easy-moderate. The only thing that edges it toward being moderate are the few patches of loose rock.