Groom Creek Loop Trail

Groom Creek Loop Trail is a 9.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Prescott, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Prescott: Take Gurley Street east to Mt. Vernon Avenue. Take Mt. Vernon (Senator Highway, Forest Road 52) south for approximately 6.5 miles to Groom Creek. Continue on FR 52A for 4.5 miles. You will have just passed the entrance to Goldwater Lake before coming to FR 52A. Turn left onto FR 52A and travel for about four miles to the picnic area.

Great trail! Only hiked 3 miles in. Didnt make it to the lookout tower. Had to turn back to catch the sunset. Will complete it next time! Beautiful! Even ran into 6 bucks leaping out in front of us at twilight.

We really liked this trail, saw a lot of deer and it was moderately well wooded so shade was available for hotter months. We also saw a coyote as soon as we left on the road that was large and fluffy compared to the Phoenix ones. If you go near evening you will definitely see a lot of deer though and it was a beautiful hike. May have taken a longer path by accident but gps said over 10.5 miles.

Great hike! Scenery is beautiful!

One of the better trails we've been on thus far. Worth the pain:-)

I want to first state that this is a very beautiful hike. So much to see and lots of wild life: deer, birds, horned toads, and lizards. The app states the loop is 6.6 miles it is actually closer to 10, my friend and I were not prepared for this, so please plan accordingly. We hiked counter-clockwise. I think calling this trail moderate is fair. The scenery was amazing the watch tower was really neat, we went inside it as its welcome to visitors. The views were awesome! I highly recommend this trail, just prepare for the 10 miles. :)

Started at the bottom, great trail. The fire tower at the top was a treat.

Beautiful trail and just the perfect amount of challenging. I did as others suggested and did the loop counter clockwise and I would definitely suggest it. The views going up are stunning this way, and makes for an easy descent. Wear good boots especially for coming down because there are some rocky parts! Saw only a few people on the trail and everyone was very friendly! In fact all the dogs I saw on the trail, including me, had a leash on! Love responsible dog owners. Would definitely do it again!

Nice hike, somewhat challenging if you are not use to the higher elevations. I had fun, also note there is an outhouse at the high point of the hike (I love when they add outhouses to midpoints on hikes!). Rocky and steep incline, at least the route we took. Pretty good views all the way up and back down. Also be mindful of weather, it is much colder than the lower lying deserts due to higher elevation.

Nice shady hike. Definitely take it counter clockwise, so the incline is less challenging at the end of the hike.