Goat Camp Trail

Goat Camp Trail is a 17.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Waddell, Arizona that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

For the first mile and a quarter one experiences a gradual incline , walking on soft white sand for about one half mile, then the trail becomes rocky and towards the end more and larger rocks with steeper climbs. Up to the three mile marker, the trail narrows with very steep inclines and you need to know how to place your feet and to avoid falls. One rates this as the toughest part. Then up to three and a third miles one experiences the rocky climbs a little easier. One, therefore, can rate this hike as challenging.

did goat camp on 1/21 - 4 miles in.. loved it

Best and hardest trail for running in the area! My technical downhill has become my strong suit due to running goat camp every week! Soooo good!

Goat Camp is in the White Tanks Regional Park. There is some elevation gain over the first 2-3 miles, and if you keep your eyes open around mile marker 1, you'll see a rare crested saguaro.

I've hiked Goat Camp Trail twice. It is challenging, but it is worth the time and effort. Today I ran into several people. The first time I hiked it, I didn't see a soul. I enjoy hiking alone, but sometimes it would be good to have another hiker with me.

The description states that Goat Camp is open September-May, however we went today, July 9th and it was open.

Great hike

This is a great hike if you're looking for some challenging elevation gain and relative solitude.

love it

It was a wee bit of a gradual steep trail with a lot of small rocks... according to my fitbit I climbed 91 flights of stairs lol…Started off a bit late so only made it to right before the antennas, had to turn around or I would have been up there after sunset.
Saw lots of lizards and heard what I thought was a rattler.
Make sure you have good hiking shoes with great support, plenty of water and snacks.

Fun steep trail.

Easy trail runner for the first .75-1mi then some moderate hiking through small to medium rock gardens. There isn't an actual summit with a 360 degree view.