Geronimo Head

Geronimo Head is a 5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Tortilla Flat, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is only recommended for very experienced adventurers and primarily used for hiking.

old growth

Well this started out as a great hike with good company. The two of us made it to the top where we enjoyed beautiful views of Battleship Mountain. This is a rough hike as there really is no trail to follow. Once in a while if your lucky you will see a cairn. The brush is thick and lots of catclaws. You will be hiking up most of the way to the top. Lots of loses rocks and gravel. You need to have plenty of water and really good boots.

It was a beautiful morning for a hike. A friend and I started out at Tortilla Flats. We used her gps as there really is no trail to follow. It was a challenge and the views were breathtaking. Once we reached the top we had views of Weavers Needle, Black top Mesa, Canyon Lake, La Barge Canyon and of course Battleship Mountain.
But of course things got rough for me on the the way down. We were about a half a mile from my car when I slipped on some lose rocks and got my left leg caught between two rocks. I ended up with a broken ankle 2 plates and 13 screws. Hopefull I will be able to start hiking by the end of May.