Geronimo Trail

Geronimo Trail is a 5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

haven't been there yet!

Back on Geronimo today. Actually, today and yesterday. Yesterday I came out planning to take Geronimo to National. I had never done that before and somebody on the trail told me I had to travel through the wash to reach National. I found the wash and started through it but didn't find a turn off to National above. I just continued through the wash. It's a large wash that would probably form quite a river in heavy rain. Walking through the wash, I twice heard bees buzzing behind a rock wall. Not sure if they were killer bees, and fortunately, they didn't appear outside the wall. The wash turns downhill at the end and there it is full of massive boulders pushed up from underground. It gets tricky in there and one could easily fall and break arm, leg, or even head. In more than one spot I sat down to scoot down over the boulders. I was wearing my super flexible athletic shorts and I had my phone in the pocket . I reached the end and realized I had dropped my phone. Somehow it slipped out of my pocket, probably during one of my safety scoots. I went back today to find it and sure enough I did. It was laying in the sand where I must have scooted down and dropped it the day before. Amazing! The wash lets out right into the Boy Scout Camp. The Boy Scouts use the wash to practice rock climbing. This is an interesting and challenging hike. Take your life in your hands and give it a try!

Did Geronimo today. First time ever. It's a little hard to find. On 20th Street just north of Dobbins, almost to Euclid. It's on the east side of 20th Street where there is just an unpaved turn off and no markings on the street. I pulled in there not knowing and was lucky enough to find two other hikers who knew the way. There is a small city trailhead sign just off the road, but that's easy to miss. Up the trail I went, admiring the flowering cactus. It's a rugged trail but not terribly difficult. You get the chance to do some bouldering on the way up. It is a little bit easy to fall off the trail and go stumbling over rocks through the desert, so watch where you are going. There are some trail markers though really not a lot. This trail is directly next to the Boy Scout camp and you can also wind up in there. I only did about 3 1/2 miles today and I didn't see it all but I saw enough to get the flavor. It is more superb South Mountain hiking. Highly recommended!

would be 5 stars but no parking

Geronimo Trail all by itself is an interestingly varied trail. But my favorite thing about Geronimo is that you can park between the Geronimo and Mormon trailheads, hike up Geronimo, follow National till you get to Hidden Valley, hike the Hidden Valley (follow the loop counterclockwise for maximum fun and beauty) and then finally follow down Mormon Trail back to your car. One of the most fun loops on all of South Mountain.

Fun way to ease back into hiking, some elevation in the middle.

my favorite in phx so far!

Great views of Phoenix and a decent trail! Beware on your way back, it's easy to end up on a unnamed trail that leads to the Boy Scout camp! :)

This trail is more raw than others around. Trail markers are not plenty so it may be easy to get off track in some areas. The loose rocks give the trail a moderate rating for intensity, but I would in no way categorize this as difficult/hard.

As for directions on getting to the trail we parked at the Mormon Trailhead, walked west on E. Euclid, took a left on S. 22nd st., then a right on E. Beth st. Voila, the trail is at the end of the street.

It was a very nice day out, not to many people, then again it was Monday and a bit hazy out. But always enjoy the out doors