Freedom Trail (#302)

Freedom Trail (#302) is a 3.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Convenient city hike. Easy to moderate. Great views!

Good hiking alternative to the summit trail and long enough for a workout. You pass by several forks in the road, leading to other trails, VOAZ, Perl Charles, Nature Trail, and Summit Trail. Plenty of options. I love the solitude, nature, and views that this hike provides. I hike it counter-clockwise. You run into the summit trail near the end, you can add that to your total hike for even more fun!

114 today but I went out anyway. Piestewa Peak Park is right around the corner from my house so very convenient. Today I parked in the first lot just outside the gate. I was looking for the Alternate Summit trail but I didn't find it. Instead I wound up on the 302 Circumference Trail and hiked around the base of the mountain. I wound up doing 302 to 1A to Irregular Link up and over the mountain. The Irregular Link tops out at 2178 feet so about 500 under the summit. Decent elevation anyway. As hot as it was there were plenty of people out at the park. There always are. 3.3 miles that was mostly uphill so not too bad.

The base of the trail is very popular. Most of those people are going to the peak. Once I got 20 minutes in, there were far less people. This trail has amazing views in all directions and lots of beautiful nature to admire. I was able to complete the full loop in 3 hours. Be prepared for rocky, thin paths and steep inclines and declines. If you do the full loop, there will be two significant inclines and declines.

Went in late March when everything was in bloom and not too hot. Large crowds of people on the summit hike, but only passed a handful of people on the deeper park trails. Pretty views, easy access, and plenty of side trails. Plan on going again when next in Phoenix

Beautiful hike. Signs not well directed at certain parts, ended up on 1A at one point by accident.

My approach to the Circumference Trail was to take the 304 (Nature Trail) to the 1A (Perl Charles Memorial) north behind the Summit and then cross over on the Irregular Link, a handy little connector that forms a loop of the 1A. I missed it! I have been on the 1A and Irregular Link a bunch of times but today I missed it. Eventually I figured out that I was in for the long haul on the 1A. By then I had gone too far to turn back so I just continued on. Finally I came to the 302 (Freedom Trail), pointing to the Summit Trail a mile farther along. I went up and finally made it to the Summit Trail. The 302 meets the Summit Trail about 3/4 of the way to the top, and you can either turn left and go to the top or turn right and go down. It was late when I got there so I turned right and went down. Piestewa Peak Park is packed with hikers but I was nearly alone until got to the Summit Trail. Then I met the crowd. This is not a popular hike, but it's a good one if you're up for it. 5.8 miles today, so not half bad.

Saw about 5 bee hives (I'm allergic to bees) and even a Gila monster.. Never will return.

I did this trail after I completed the Summit Trail. I went all the way up Summit and then on my way back down took the Freedom trail. It's a good loop trail with great views. I found it more difficult that its rated just because I had just gone up the Summit trail. Had I just done Freedom, I would have found it easy/moderate. Its a very nice loop to stroll around.

this short hike is perfect for a good workout. the elevation changes make it challenging enough for me to feel the burn.

Love this trail, it has a little bit of everything and there are a lot of trails you can branch out on.

Good cardio workout! Nothing very steep but enough to get you out of breath on the way up. Pretty views. Flowers were out which was nice. On our way back down (we went counter clockwise on the trail) we came down the bottom part of the Summit trail, which was REALLY crowded. I recommend getting to this park early to guarantee a parking spot.
Those looking for a little extra oomph should take the summit trail up to the top before heading to the parking lot, as you cross that trail on the way back.

Today I went looking for a trail that I did not find, so I wandered back to Piestewa Peak (Squaw Peak) Park. I have been there a million times, so today I tried to find something new. I parked at the end of Squaw Peak Drive near the 302/304 trailhead. I looked off to the right (south) and away from those trails that I already know so well. To the south there is a ridgeline that rises up a good ways. Shorter than the summit, of course, but still not too bad. There are no trails leading up to the top, but I just took off hiking overland, uphill through rocks and washes. Obviously I was not the first person ever there because at first there were beer cans and broken bottles left behind from past parties. After hiking up probably 1,000 feet the litter was gone. I continued on my way to the top until I began to notice what looked like swarms of wasps. They were feeding on the yellow flowers on the side of the mountain, and they seemed to object to my intrusion. I wasn't stung, but they did land on me and seemed to threaten me. In any event, they scared me off! I turned around and hurried back downhill before reaching the very top. It might actually be a part of the Mohave Extension just to the west. But for the bugs I would have made it!

Love this hike. Close to the city, has elevation gains and drops, level areas, great view and give you a great workout. Perfect for those looking for a more hike that's not going up the entire time.

I've done this hike a few times, and it's great. The views of the city are amazing at dusk when you get close to the end.

Must have done this hike 30x.