Fred Haught Trail

Fred Haught Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Happy Jack, AZ and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from April until November.

Directions from Flagstaff: Drive about 55 Miles south on Forest Highway 3. Drive north 9 miles on AZ 87 to FR 95. Turn south (right) about 8 miles to FR 139A. Turn left on 139A to the trailhead. FH 3 and AZ 87 are paved. FR 95 is graveled and suitable for passenger vehicles except during winter when it is closed.

Very easy hike. I did this trail with my daughter - 11 yrs old. It was her first backpacking/overnight trip. We enjoyed the hike & scenery. Most of this hike is in the shade of Pine Trees along a creek (which only has running water from the run-off). The trail is easily marked & easy to follow ...just hard to find off of the FR 300 road. The trail head starts at the bottom of a road where an old cabin is so, we parked up top & hiked down. There are plenty of places to camp along the trail if you don't want to go all the way to Fred Haught Springs, which by the way, was only 4 miles from start of trail head.
Next year, I will do this hike again with my other daughter but will be in March to catch the run-off so, we have more choices for water.