Fossil Springs Trail

Fossil Springs Trail is a 8.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pine, AZ that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Fossil Creek is a 8 mile out and back trail located near Pine, Arizona that features a waterfall. The trail is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This was such a fun hike. A little more difficult than I expected but next time I want to go camping and hang out by the creek!

Amazing!

This was a beautiful hike, but proved difficult for my younger children coming out. The springs, and the toilet bowl were so beautiful and the water was the clearest i've seen since being on Guam. Bring plenty of water, although carrying one gallon per person was difficult for MOM who carried more than enough for youngers! Can't wait to do it agin!

Great trail. Not too steep coming out

The trail going down was pretty easy, but the hike back up was HARD. Thought we had more than enough water ( 2 liter backpack, 2 water bottles and a Gatorade ) and could have used some more... But the waterfall and swimming is worth the tough hike

Falls are beautiful. Bring swimwear and enough water and energy for the long ascent back to the trailhead. Most of the people I saw on the trail looked alarmingly unprepared for the return trip.

Hike was not difficult, we had a kiddo with us that did it in flip flops. We got there right when they opened the gates at 8am. The water was a little chilly, but not too bad. The water fall was beautiful. By 11:30 it started to get really busy and we headed out. Overall very awesome experience.

As others have said, the hike down was not bad. The falls were beautiful and the water was clear and refreshing. Now the hike back up was a killer. I had to take frequent rests. My husband did great and didnt find it to be as difficult as I did. Thankfully there was a lot of shade to find along the way. It is very steep and very, very rocky so be aware. Wear good sturdy shoes. I went through 2.5 liters plus a 32 oz gatorade and 2 16 oz water bottles and it still wasn't enough. I ran out at the very end. My husband had the same and had a small amount left in his hydro pack when we reached the top. It took a little over 2 hours to get down and about 3 hours to get back to the top with the frequent stops. When you first start the trail there are big signs that say it is not the way to the waterfall. We got to the waterfall/toilet bowl so not sure what that was about. You will get to a flat, dry river bed that you will have to cross. I had no idea where the trail went from there and thought that was the end. Freaked me out a little. Thank goodness there are signs hanging in the tree across the river bed pointing us in the right direction. It linked us back to the trail to get to the springs or waterfall. We took the waterfall trail. Beautiful stretch of shady trees and the sound of the river along the way. It was a great trip but I am definitely feeling it today. Every muscle and joint hurt in my body! My husband is fine. Obviously I need to exercise more! ;)

This was a hike for the books! I did this hike at 10 am with two of my friends. The hike down wasn't too bad, just a little hot because it was about 90 the day we went. The actual fallls was amazing. amazingly clear waters and at the springs you can even drink straight from it, so it's a good place to fill up on water seeing as I went through 3 liters on the way down. Now, the hike up was difficult. There is plenty of places to get good footing, but the incline is totally killer. I do not recommend bringing dogs or children on this hike.

Easy 4 mile hike down hill through high desert to the creek. Once you're at the bottom the trail splits and runs along the creek where the scenery becomes lush and green. We spent some time swimming at the falls (bring water shoes) ate snacks, and reapplied sunscreen. 4 miles back are all up hill and in the sun. You'll definitely be ready for That Brewery by the end!

ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

This was a fabulous hike, however much more difficult then I anticipated. I think primarily due to the heat as it was in the 90's coming back out. Not only are you typically in full sun, but in places the trail is extremely rocky with the heat radiating off of that. I went through 3 liters of water but used sparingly. Wish that I had more as I was empty by the time we got back to the top.

I was really bummed when I first heard you had to get a permit. After going three weeks ago, I can say I change my mind entirely! This new permit system really helps limit people who are able to go in one day! That means more privacy and less trash!

Okay, now let's talk about the actual hike! This hike requires you to plan accordingly! It says 8.4 miles but I swear it's almost 5 miles to the dam! Plus, you are hiking down first which requires you to use little energy, and that means you probably will underestimate the long trek up!I highly recommend you bring plenty of water! I always go through 3 liters easily myself! Also, I always bring a pair of water shoes and dry clothes to change into at my car! Also, I highly recommend you pack goggles to see all the fish I'm.the water! Fossil Creek is a jewel in Arizona and we must continue to take care of it! Please pick up your trash!

I left a piece of my heart at fossil springs! Bring lots of water, good hiking shoes, and a bathing suit! I could have spent days here. The water felt perfect after the hike down, and although the hike back up was difficult, I was able to keep a steady pace. I brought my dog with my and we encountered a few other dogs off leash, so be weary. Make sure to get a permit before you go, inexpensive and limits the crowds which was nice. Can't wait to go back!

FYI you NOW need a permit to hike here from May 1 through September 30. I Don't want you to learn the hard way. We Didn't know this, drove 2 hours to be turned away! No joke, they did, cause they limit the sale of permits per day! The guy in front of us took the last one! Was very disappointed. Go to www.recreation.gov select fossil creek scenic river or call 877-444-6777....We ended up going to the Tonto natural bridge.

Fossil Springs is a great hike, but come prepared. Wear good shoes or hiking boots, & plenty of water. It's all downhill, so it's all uphill coming out. Swimming is a must.

BEAUTIFUL!!!

Great hike, took my 6yr son and had a blast. He was a real trooper.