Flatiron

Flatiron is a 5.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Apache Junction, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from September until June. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is not an easy hike so bring plenty of water with you as there is none on the trail. And a good pair of hiking boots will make a difference. Bring food as well you will need the energy from it. This is the desert and it can get very hot hiking in the valley. There is a lot of scrambling and lose rocks.

So did this hike with a kid on my back. Very challenging mentally and physically. Very hard to come back down with a child on your back. Do not recommend doing this with a child under 10 or 11. And then the 10 or 11 yr old needs to have hiked hard hikes before. When I wanted to give up people gave great motivation to continue. The view from the top were amazing. I would rate this hike hard. Be prepared to climb rocks up and down.

Great trail.

I attempted this trail on Thanksgiving. it is definitely a challenge and I unfortunately started too late to make it to the summit prior to the sun setting. A few tips while on this trail; there is a 7 dollar fee to get into the park to access the trail for those who do not carry cash or card while hiking. Secondly, after you reach the basin and climb above it, the trail is hard to identify. Spent about a half hour climbing what I thought was the trail before trekking back just above the basin and finding the actual trail. It is identified by fairly large blue and white dots spray painted on the rocks, info provided courteously provided by some repeat hikers. Lastly, it is more climbing than hiking. Definitely plan on making this one of my regular hikes.

My favorite hike so far in the valley. Overall body exercise with great view at the top. Well worth the trip

I did this a couple years ago, so I don't remember a lot about the details. But I can't imagine doing this on horseback. I found it to be more like rock climbing most of the way. It took 3 hours up and 2 hours down and we burned about 2500 calories! However, I did like it better than Echo Canyon.

has anyone done this on horseback?

Loved it. Definitely not for beginners but worth the hike

Hard and good.

rock climbing

Very beautiful intense trail! Six miles out and back. Feels like 10. The top is definitely worth of the climb. Give five hours minimum for this hike if it's your first time.

One of my all time favorite hiking spots.

Most difficult trail I've ever hiked. Bring more water than you expect you'll need and prepare for a struggle up this one.

Great!!

I loved this hike! I highly recommend this to anyone looking for views, a workout and some solitude.

Long and hard

One of the most rewarding hikes in the valley. Strenuous but well worth it!

Hiked this a few years back vary challenging very fun hike so worth the view! Bring lots of water and a snack for the top!