Elephant Mountain Trail

Elephant Mountain Trail is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Cave Creek, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

NOTE: Elephant Mountain has been purchased by a private owner and is no longer accessible.

easy trail, beautiful scenery !

Long approach to the actual mountain, and the trail does not go to the summit. Other than that it's alright.

I give it 4.25 - 5 stars. Nicely challenging!! Gorgeous scenery. I Recommend wearing hiking boots rather than running shoes. Boots will give you better traction (that you'll need) and keep you from turning an ankle. Super rocky in spots, but GORGEOUS views (although I recommend that you stop to take in the views, as it's too easy to turn an ankle or trip if you enjoy the scenery while moving). I posted some pics. Took my dog, but keep an eye out for fallen Jumping Cholla cacti because you don't want to remove them from your friend's paws. Most of them I could kick off the trail, but there was one area that I had to carry my dogger because they covered the entire trail.

beautiful scenery :)

I know the secret to finding shade on this trail! I hiked Elephant Mountain twice in one day on the last weekend of May - at 8:30AM and 3PM (Sunrise 5:18AM; Sunset 7:31PM). Both times I took Spur Crossing/Tortuga/Elephant Mountain. On the morning hike, there was virtually no shade at all. On the afternoon hike, there were many long stretches of shade particularly after the 3-mile saddle crossing. There was a bit of a breeze that even made it feel very cool in the afternoon shade on the 93 degree day. I hike pretty fast, and easily completed the hike in 3 hours. I did not see the ruins. :( I saw only a handful of people on the morning hike; not a single person in the afternoon. Note that of the 7 mile hike, only the 2 miles of Elephant Mountain Trail are rated difficult; the rest of the hike is moderate; since I like difficult trails, that was a slight negative, but still a 4-star trail for sure. Many gnats and flies followed me around in the low areas, but didn't bite. Incredible desert views from the high points on the trail make this well worth a visit.

Great hike lots to see
Bring water

great hike. worth trying. not so steep.