Elden Lookout Trail

Elden Lookout Trail is a 5.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Flagstaff: Follow Santa Fe Avenue past the entrance to the Flagstaff Mall and the Peaks Ranger District Office to a trailhead parking lot just off the north side of the street.

We decided it was wise to try this bad boy out during a blizzard. Probably wouldn't recommend it, but definitely a cool experience. The trail is a great challenge and comes with a nice sense of accomplishment at the end....at least that's what the lone old man told us as he moved quickly passed us to escape the worsening storm! If you're looking for a challenge, it's a solid choice.

I did this a month ago, twice within a week. What was I thinking? After that, I couldn't walk for few days. Very challenging but worth it. Definitely will do it again.

This trail whooped mine and my boyfriend's butts! It's very rocky and steep at some points. Took us about 2.5-3 hours to climb up and 2 hours to get back down. We both aren't hikers however, but we are both young and in great shape if that helps anyone. The trail itself is absolutely breathtaking and it has a TON of great photo spots!

Trail was definitely tough and it was very windy the day we went which made going down harder. Cool view at the top and it sounded like the ocean with the wind blowing. Bring water, this is one of the harder hikes in Flagstaff out of the dozens we have done,

Good to get your heart rate up but not the best views in flagstaff

I gave this trail only 3 stars because it is NOT "moderately trafficked". Most of the year, especially on weekends, the very large and ample parking lot is absolutely overflowing, no kidding. The trail is great and I've used it to train to hike the Grand Canyon, but most of the trail is close-enough to Hwy 89 to be noisy, which for me is a negative.

Trail is well maintained, the steep is moderated not really intense; however, there are some slippery parts that you may need to be careful when going down. The view is nice. The parking lot is limited but it's not always full during the normal days.

Very intense and inclined hike!

Fairly steep trail. great for training for The Canyon

Great Hike. Hard to strenuous. Once you get to the top. You have an excellent view to the north of Mount Humphreys.

OMG...this trail kicked my glutes and legs. We got about 3/4 of the way up before having to turn around due to thunder and lightning. Highly recommend this trail to everyone.