Echo Canyon Trail

Echo Canyon Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near San Simon, AZ that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round.

very nice hike through rock formations, great views.

The road up to the parking lot was under construction the day we hiked, so we started at the visitor centre lot, went up the Rhyolite trail to connect with the loop, and ended up with a 12 km (7.5 mile) hike. The Rhyolite section is easy, and the connector takes you through a pleasant forested section with dry creek beds kids would love.

The loop itself offers lots of variety, and is easy to moderate. The highlight is absolutely the Echo Canyon section, so take your time through here and explore. The views where this section meets with the Hailstone Trail are superb, especially on a brilliant February day. We went clockwise which makes the climb a little steeper but not an issue for most hikers. It was not busy at all, but then the road closure may have helped.

This is a moderate hike with some interesting rock formations on the way. Have taken the grandchildren to the grottoes and they loved it. On our own we have hiked the whole trail. I loved the Wall Street area and the views are spectacular

I love this trail! And if you have time and energy left, it's definitely worth the extra mileage to take the side trail Mushroom Rock to Inspiration Point.

Hiked Echo Canyon Trail on Saturday the 19th of September with my wife and daughter. This trail is the most scenic I have been on to date with it's amazing rock formations among tall pines and flowering plants. It's at the end of the Arizona monsoon season and there is a spectacular array of colors with the wildflowers still in full bloom. Definitely hike this trail counter clockwise where you start encountering the very cool rock formations. It is also the steepest part of the trail so your going down as opposed to climbing it at the end of the hike. I would rate this trail as a moderate hike taking the average person in decent shape around two hours. Be sure and take a camera so many great photo opportunities.

Favorite trail in the area. The rock formations were awesome! Loved the portion called "The Grotto" and walked up into it for a neat photo. Not much shade on the trail but wasn't that bad in the August heat.

Alright. I didn't realize I was in the park. Go up a bit--it gets better.

Did a counter clockwise Echo Canyon loop (Echo Canyon trail, Hailstone, Ed Riggs) The first part was certainly the highlight of the hike. You get to walk amongst the formations and have some great picture opportunities. Most of the hike is down hill with some elevation gain when you circle back to Ed Riggs. The fire burned parts of the trail, esp Echo Park and Ed Riggs. Great area to explore. 2hrs, started at 6:30am in May and didn’t see a single person.

3.3 miles roundtrip actually. Easy hike.

I liked this trail, very neat rock formations. If you are not good with elevation the other reveiw is correct to go counterclockwise from the parking lot. First half of the trail is awsome but second half is a veiw of rocks across the valley.
will go back to see more of these trails, bueatiful scenery

I hiked this trail on a day that started off cloudy, and about 58 degrees F. I took the suggestion from the NPS website and hiked counter clockwise fromt he Echo Canyon parking lot. I was pleasantly surprised as the density of the woods and the stark beauty of the recent forest fire. I did this hike in conjunction with the Upper Rhyolite Canyon, the Sarah Deming, the Big Balanced Rock, the Mushroom Rock, and the Ed Riggs Trails. While not as colorful as some of the other "desert" hikes I have walked, the the fluorescent green of the lichens on rocks, the fairytale shaped rocks, the contrast of "into the piney wood" and completely exposed on top of a mountain all within a few hours, made for a very good surprise of a hike. I came across only 5 other people in the 3.5 hours.