Dry Lake Hills Trail

Dry Lake Hills Trail is a 5.5 mile loop trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Dry Lake Hills is a 5.7 mile out and back trail located near Flagstaff, Arizona. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The hike was great with wonderful views and wasn't too trafficked. Getting to this trail is fairly easy but you'll pass several trail head parking lots on the way up, the dirt road is in good condition.

Really this area is considered dry lake hills, but the trail is not called dry hills lake. Because it is a loop either follow this route or it in the opposite. I suggest also taking a photo of the map at the sunset trailhead

Start on sunset trail (just left of the trailhead signage) and continue to the brook bank trail (take a right at the sign about wildfires), if you go left instead it's a short out and back with decent views. Continue on brooksbank and you will pass a small pond just off the trail. Past the pond you will end up on an out of service forest road (unsigned) and will see signs for Schultz creek loop where you can finish the loop.

Be warned that there are many turn offs because of the trail system up there. There have also been an increase in bear sightings.

I did this hike with my husband and 1-year-old daughter in a pack this weekend. The drive to the trail included 5 miles down a dirt road. The road is fairly well maintained, and was not an issue with our very low sports sedan. As others have mentioned, the signage here is not good. Thankfully, I had the all trails app running which helped us when we got off track at the dry lakes. You start on the Schutz Pass trail, then when you get to the meadow you make a left. We ventured into the meadow and turned at the interpretive signage and cut back to the trail- I recommend doing this for the best views. Then follow the Brookbank trail to Sunset Trail.

The hike was very nice. Great views of mountains, forests and meadows and lots and lots of wildflowers in mid August when we hiked. There were one or two technical spots, but nothing I didn't feel comfortable doing with a baby on my back. The trail is also popular with bikers, so be cautious. What I enjoyed about this loop hike is that it wasn't just up and then down, there is some undulation which keeps things interesting.

All and all, a great hike, and highly recommended as a way to spend a few hours in the Flagstaff area.

Nice area but made some wrong turns as trails not marked at some forks. Turned out my 5.5 mile hike was closer to 8 miles.

Beautiful hike, great workout and the dogs had a blast. Played in the little watering hole. We'll be back

The trail was moderately trafficked, mostly people on bikes. The trail wasn't very well marked beyond the parking lot. I'd like to see more signs and increased visibility. The scenery was beautiful and the weather was perfect. The way up is the most difficult part than it evens out and begins to slope down.

Absolutely beautiful hike!

It was nice hike. Beautiful scenery. It was a little tough going up for 2 miles but once your on top it's smooth.

The best part of the Dry Lake Hills can be accessed from Eldon Lookout Rd. or Schultz Pass Rd. There is a pond/tank with water all year round which is perfect for dogs to swim in. The scenery is beautiful and in the late summer there are many wildflowers.