Dixie Mountain Loop Trail

Dixie Mountain Loop Trail is a 4.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The main loop trail at Phoenix's Sonoran Preserve provides plenty of options for either a short walk or a longer hike. The elevation gain is accumulated through small ups-and-downs along the trail. Look for the Teddy Bear Cholla forest between mile posts 2.6 and 2.75. The Sonoran Preserve is located in the transition zone to the Arizona Upland, which has higher amounts of rainfall than other Phoenix area hikes, increasing both the lushness and diversity of plant life.

Great hike. Went at 5pm and watched the sunset.

I really enjoy this hike. I've done it twice now. It rates easy but I don't think it's very easy. Start early and watch out for the cactus.

Great trail for all levels. Watch out for the cactus!

Guess it's because I'm from Illinois where many of the trails are like a table top, but I'm surprised to see so many describing this trail as easy. To me, easy is, some- thing like Apache Wash or Pocotillo which are both just a few miles from here. My Run Keeper app showed almost 1200 feet of elevation gain. Got off to a late start and the temperature was well above 100 by the time I was done. Must have been the heat made it seem a little difficult. Nice trail though, definitely not crowded, only saw two other people.

great hike, over 5.4 miles to Summitt on D trail. great scenery and view

very easy but very beautiful

easy trail. not too much climbing. if you are lucky enough you will get to see desert tortoise. :) I was.. chk out the pic.!!

Nice, easy, well marked trail - nice 90 min workout! Plan to return to see cholla in bloom within next few weeks!

This was my first hiking ever. It took about 2 hours and 15 minutes to hike and return. We started at 7:45 on a mid November (fall but still warm) and return back at about 10. Its a great trail especially being a first timer. I did learn all the challenges of not having a nice pair of hiking shoes. The trail is fairly well balanced. The dixie summit was little hard (for first timers) but i saw lots of people climbing up and down by the time i get to the top. The view from the top of the Dixie summit is fantastic. Great photo ops...the parking is very secure. Love it and will do it again. Just watch out for few spots that may be little bit skidding if you don't have good pair of hiking shoes.

Great day hike. Awesome view at sumit.

Did Dixie Mountain Loop today. It begins and ends at the Desert Vista Trailhead near Jomax and I-17. It's just about four miles around, and it's pretty easy, except for a strenuous climb about midway through. The spaces are wide open on the trail, and there really isn't a lot to see other than broad desert. There is the SUV crashed into the wash near the start of the trail. Stripped to bare metal, one wonders how it happened. A quick Google search didn't tell me, but I would like to know. The city hasn't removed the scrap, so you might think it has been left as a landmark. Today on Sunday the trail was pretty busy. 90 degrees plus today as Phoenix heads into fall. A fun and moderately difficult trail.

Did my 1st mountain biking trail ride on this trail, not a good idea.

As for hiking it is a great hike for a local hike.

A great day for a family hike. Next time will have to add in the summit trail.

My Husband and I did this trail a few weeks ago. Quiet trail, saw about 1/2 dozen people on it. We were lucky and our gps directions brought us right to the trail head. This is in the middle of large development. But the scenery is breathtaking. We even saw an very large owl in its nest in a cactus. No problem following trail, there are couple places that indicate a trail take off but are actually just view points.

Nice trail close to my house and not alot of traffic. Basic deseart scenery. Lots of jummping catus close to the trail, be carefull or bring pliers in case you rub against one.
All Trails directions droped me off in the middle of the busy street and Google Maps dropped me off in the middle of a subdivision so good luck finding it if your not familiar with it.

Great trail for beginners or families.