Coronado Cave Trail

Coronado Cave Trail is a 1.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hereford, AZ that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

cave

From the paved parking lot, follow the trail as it climbs through high Sonoran vegetation to the cave entrance. Walking in the cave is easy, there are also many "rooms" to this cave. Some require you to crawl on your belly to enter. Exit where u came in. Pets are not allowed inside the cave

My husband and I took the kids (6&7) on this nice little hike!! It was a lot of fun, and they really enjoyed exploring the cave!! It was a blast :) it is a little steep going up and the kids thought it was kind of hard, but exploring the cave made up for it.

I wouldn't really call it a hiking trail; rather, a nice walk. The cave is really awesome. TAKE a flashlight.

Nice fun hike. We were surprised how large the cave is. Definitely bring a flashlight to explore!

Fun little hike to take the family on! My kids are 5 and 4 and they were able to traverse the trail AND go in the cave without any problems. Make sure you bring a decent flashlight, its pitch black in the back end of the cave. Also, it looks a little treacherous when you look into the mouth of the cave but its really not that bad.

This hike is extremely short. Bring a headlamp or flashlight and enjoy the cave! The cave is unguided and unlit. The star rating is really for the cave

While the hike is short, it will get the heart pumping if you want a quick workout. The caves coolness is welcoming, and the view at top is beautiful to take in. There is not a lot of shade going up or down, and with consistent incline; take hat, water, and sunscreen.

Short hike of about a half mile to the cave. Very well maintained as you can see in my pictures. There are many stone steps set into the trail.

Awesome short and sweet hike up gravel and typical southern arizona trail scenery, beautiful views both the way up and back. Cave is one awesome adventure, I went by myself today for the first time, I brought 100 liters of water and a small wind up flashlight and a few nature valley bars. The cave was perfect temperature compared to the summer heat outside. It was totally rad walking around in the pitch black exploring new territory by myself. The cave seemed huge to me but I'm also new to spelunking, there are plenty of crawl spaces to make you want to come back for more. I will be coming back with more powerful lights next week. Highly recommend!

Strenuous hike for out-of-shape me: 0.5/0.6 mi to rise more than 200'. I have a hard time believing the elevation change is only 200 feet. Three GPS apps on my iPhone said 450-500 and it looked far more than 200'. That said, the signal could have been bad in the mountains.

The slope is southern facing, and therefore has very dry, desert vegetation (unlike the north side of this mountain in Ramsey Canyon). Less than a mile from the Mexican border, allowing you so see the border fence.

The cave is great. The photo with the green glowing "three tooth worm" is actually a macro photo taken of some glowing substance on the lower "lip" of the "mouth" of the cavity in a small bolder that someone scratched eyes and a nose in.

Be sure to continue up the (eventually dirt) road to the top of the pass. Quite a spectacular view. There's a 0.5 mi hike on the top.

Notes:
- Bring a really good flashlight. The cave is huge and dark, making my 350 lumen flashlight look dim.

- A hiker we met in the cave said he'd run across some illegal border crossers hiding in the cave a while back, so be careful.

awesome hike!!! ran up to the cave with my sister. the cave was pretty cool, wish it was bigger but such is nature. if youre coming from the low country (like the southeast) make sure you acclamate to the altitude. haha. cheers! happy hiking!

A great hike and easy to navigate cave for the whole family my 6 year old brother even loves it