Coldwater Trail

Coldwater Trail is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Goodyear, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From central Phoenix, take I-10 west to Estrella Parkway exit. Travel south to Vineyard Ave. Turn east on Vineyard Ave. to the Estrella Mountain Regional Park entrance on the south side. $6 entry fee per car.

1 hour ago

Hiked all the way down Coldwater Trail and back. Very easy & a bit boring, but the solitude was nice. Didn't see anyone late Saturday morning.

I started out on toothed trail walk to end made left on to gadsden trail up to Coldwater trail to the end then back to parking me it was a out standing hike.

I hiked this trail today. All of coldwater then back to dysart and to butterfly. The first half of coldwater is just a service road so was rather boring. The second half was more scenic. I went on a Sunday and maybe ran into 3 bikers, 4-5 groups hiking, and 3 groups of horseback riders. There were bugs at the end of the trail that attacked me (flying ant type) at the end of the trail as I tried to rest wear insect repellant.

We hiked Coldwater to Dysart to Butterfield. The gravel parking area by the trailhead had lots of horse trailers and horses. We thought we would see horses on the trail, but we actually didn't. The section of Coldwater we walked was a wide path, mostly flat, with gravel. I would consider it easy. We saw very few people on this trail and no bikes. The full loop we hiked with my dogs was 3.4 miles and took us 1 hour, 40 minutes. The trails were clearly marked, which was nice. There is almost no shade, but it was a beautiful January day for a hike (55-64 degrees). There was lots of horse poop along the way, but we did not see any dog poop. The scenery was your typical desert landscape with cactus, bushes, and rocks. Fortunately, cactus was not a problem on the trail, and neither were ants. The only wildlife we saw were some quail back at the parking lot. I enjoyed the hike, but I would like to try it in reverse next time. Note: the entrance fee to Estrella Mountain Regional Park is $6 per vehicle.