Cholla Trail

Cholla Trail is a 2.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from September until May.

The actual trailhead is on Cholla Lane, but you can't park there, so you have to find a spot on Invergordon or another side street. Then just follow the masses to the trailhead.

Fun trail with a great view, but go early to avoid the heat!

Excellent hike!

Super great view! Good way to get a beautiful workout in!

Great trail. definitely not for newbies

Loved it. Not easy, but so worth the work !

Great hike but needs plenty of water to make it up and down

My wife and I are very new to hiking, as in our first ever hike was Piestewa Peak the day before. We found Cholla to be fairly straightforward and simple up to the saddle which I believe was post 25. From there to the summit was quite challenging for us, as it involved mostly scrambling, but it was well worth the views and sense of accomplishment at the summit. The trail was pretty well marked until the scrambling portion where we found ourselves hunting for the best path and asking others which direction to head. That may have been more our inexperience than anything else though.

It is a nice trail with good views in all directions. the trail is well marked... follow the blue dots. the trail can be divided into 2 logical parts. marker 1-25 is an easy hike. marker 25-36 is half hiking and half scrambling. we went in a cloudy day. needed more water. it is called camelback for a reason... wear one. you'll need your hands for the scrambling part. my friend fell on the ledges. stay off the gravel.

Couldn't finish due to a time constraint. But I'm just taking in the scenery.

Loved this trail! Can't wait to do it again!

Always love this trail. Took my friend's daughter and she rocked it. We started at 7am. Was done by 9am. As we got to the end there were a lot of people heading up. It was starting to get pretty warm. I have been hiking most of my life and was always told that people coming down have the right a-way. 95% of people on the trail must not have been raised on that same rule. Many guys almost ran into the 10 year old girl I was with. Sad that dogs aren't allowed on the trail anymore. Be warned there was a copy giving out warning/citations for people that were going on the trail with dogs.

It's a short hike, but beautiful at the top! Small amount of scrambling.

AllTrails: please update to reflect that dogs are no longer allowed on this trail! City of Phoenix mandated that this summer, and people can expect serious fines for bringing their dogs up. Otherwise, this is a fun and reasonably challenging hike. Good short training for things like 14ers.

I did this trail 2 years ago but didn't have time to complete it. Today I finished it and I must say that the view is amazing and definitely worth it.
However, PLEASE BE AWARE, the trail is incredibly poorly marked, to the point of being a safety hazard. The trail is more like bouldering than it is hiking when you get to the last 15 minutes or so. This combined with the poor trail markings is a set up for disaster. So please be patient, make sure your hands aren't full so that you can use them to climb, and don't take risks. Pay attention to the trail.
I hike all the time in Oregon and have done hikes all over the world including Peru and Guatemala and I
Have to say that this made me a little nervous hiking it alone because of the terrain.
Go early in the morning after the sun rises but it isn't quite hot yet. Bring water. And if you take uber like I did, note that they can't pick up and drop off at the trail head so you'll have to meet them at the main road.
Have fun!