Cathedral Rock Trail

Cathedral Rock Trail is a 1.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sedona, AZ that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Tucson: This trail is accessible only via other trails; from the Esperero Trail #25, 6.5 miles in, and from the West Fork Trail #24, 7.5 miles from the end of the Sabino Canyon shuttle road.

it should be a hard trail instead of moderate.

One of the best in Sedona. Good amount of climbing required. When you get to the top, cut off to the left and you can extend the trail for a few extra minutes to get a different view. Avoid the busy times of the day or you'll be stuck behind slow tourists.

One of my very favorite hikes...very steep right up the rock face. It's more of a climb than a hike.

This is my favorite hike in Sedona! Love it every time.

One of my favorite trails in sedona so far. It's and easy hike for me I would say it's a little difficult towards the top because it's slippery. I didn't slip once and I don't have the best shoes but it's just a precaution. It has a nice view once you get up into the middle. It takes about an hour and a half up and down, that was me walking at a fast pace and stopping for 10 minutes at the top to enjoy the view and take photos. I definitely recommend this trail.

This hike it great. Very easy to do. Lots of rocks but easy enough to walk/ hike up. We also opted to go to the creek and got in the water with bathing suits. What a great experience! The water was so crisp, cool and clear. Great hike!

Gorgeous trail.
Very short, but steep. I'd still give yourself a couple of hours. Sore lats afterwords from the 'climbing' involved (tip - crab walk on the way back down in some of those steep places and it will not be as bad as you're expecting). Honestly, I'm a bit scared of heights and the majority of this trail had me taking steadying breaths. Up a rock face with all of its contours and where there are various man-made footholds if too smooth / steep. Trail markers along the rock face consisted of mini stumps made out of rocks enclosed in wire - easy to follow. ...This might be making it sound harder than it is. It's not - do it and make it to the end. Spectacular along every step of the way and such a fail to miss out on all of it.

The views were absolutely stunning. This trail was such a pleasant surprise. Would recommend to anyone visiting Sedona as a must.

We are active and fairly fit flatlanders from the Midwest and have never done anything like this hike. However, we managed just fine in running shoes, though did have to crab walk a few times on our way down due to our footwear. I'm slightly afraid of heights but the view at the very top was so worth it! If you're thinking of doing this, do it! The scariest part is fairly early on going up, and the same pass going back down wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

Exhilarating and the experience at the top is breathtaking. Well worth the effort!

A little different for me as it involved some climbing but nothing crazy, the views at the end were amazing. I hit the trail before sunrise to beat the crowd and it was worth it to sit at the top alone and take it the sights! Definitely a place to check out in Sedona!

Not a hard trail. There is some scrambling involved... some flat rock face with little to hold, but nothing too bad. Stunning views!

Awesome views. Fairly tough hike, but took our 3 year old and he managed to complete it!

This is a great short hike that is well worth the climb. There's some minor scrambling on the way up and great panoramic views the whole time but the real payoff is at the top. The way down is actually a bit tougher than the way up so definitely wear something with some tread - a lot of people will be trying to scramble the top quarter mile in sneakers but that's going to make life tough.

Absolutely amazing views when you reach the end! Definitely some climbing involved, but with good hiking shoes, totally doable.

I was nervous about doing this hike reading some of the reviews but I was really glad I did it! There are some challenging spots but doable especially with coaxing from my husband. Beautiful views at the top!

I hiked this trail while driving cross-country in 2011. The beauty is unparalleled and have given everywhere else I've traveled to a run for its money. I set out in the late afternoon with the evening closing in, the red rocks aglow and found pleasure in solitude. A funny little thing happened here as I stared out, soaking in the grand views. Everything fell completely silent. I could feel the wind but could not hear it. My mind completely emptied out and I became a mere witness to nature. Completely in the moment and nothing else. Meditation. It was the one of the most profound and incredible experiences I have had thus far. Highly recommended and bring a headlamp if you're going to be out in the evening.