Carr Peak Trail

Carr Peak Trail is a 5.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Hereford, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Sierra Vista: Drive south of Sierra Vista 7 miles on AZ Highway 92 to the Carr Canyon Road (FR 368). Follow FR 368 about 6.5 miles to the Old Sawmill Spring Trailhead across from the entrance to Reef Townsite Campground. The Carr Peak Trailhead is located at a parking lot just outside the entrance to Ramsey Vista Campground at the end of FR 368. Carr Peak Spur is accessible via the Carr Peak Trail.

Trail was a little overgrown, but still easy to follow. Great views from the top. I will definitely do this one again in the fall.

great hike

Pretty easy trail once you get past the "ankle breaking" rocks that litter the first mile or so.

Just went this weekend--Mid November and there was a light sprinkle of snow everywhere that was breath-taking. This is my go-to day hike as you can do it in half a day and still get other things done. It's about 5 miles round trip from the Sawmill trailhead. I brought all 3 dogs and we saw a few pretty birds and about 6 other hikers. I do this hike in about 4 hours stopping with dogs but I think one could easily do it in 3 really moving fast.

I went during monsoon season so there was the bonus of a running waterfall but the down side of bush-wacking in snake country. I saw many birds, including several swooping birds of prey, but lucked out with the snakes this time. I only saw two other people on the trail the entire day. This is a nice hike; lots of switchbacks and changes of scenery to keep one satisfied and wondering what's around the corner. I hadn't done a hike in awhile so I found it moderate, but when I'm hiking regularly would consider this an "easy" hike. I parked at Ramsey and found it very convenient. I didn't notice anything at the summit other than gravel and lots of beautiful butterflies. I stayed up top for a bit and looked at my map and rested before descending. It took me about 4.5 hours but I was regularly stopping to take photos. A nice day hike.

Seems to be one of the more popular Huachuca trails as I've gone twice now and seen a good amount of people both times. A good distance and moderate hike with an outstanding view at the top, definitely worth doing.

Nice hike. Took the mom for mothers day. She survived. Anybody can.