Canyon Loop Trail - Catalina State Park

Canyon Loop Trail - Catalina State Park is a 2.2 mile loop trail located near Tucson, Arizona and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible from September until May. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Easy hike along desert landscape, with rugged mountain views This is a fun, moderate hike that has a well-defined trail. Along the trail are many different desert plants, la cholla, prickly pear, sahauro, and desert shrubs. The first half of the hike, you will have a constant view of rugged mountain ridges. The second half of the hike will drop you down and right along a wash/creek bed that you will cross four times. During the monsoon season (May- August) the wash will be full of water, so be careful when crossing. Also remember that this is the desert and with it comes desert critters (snakes, scorpions, etc.) Keep your eyes open and you will be fine, and remember to drink lots of water!! During the summer months the best time to hike, would be in the morning hours.

Nice easy trail.

Moderate trail that borders on easy. Minimal elevation change. Wide and flat for the most part. Scenic. The hardest part is crossing the washes if you desire dry shoes.

Peaceful, Gorgeous, Outstanding; what more can I say. The hike was everything anyone can ask for, definitely fun for a family bonding. I took some of my relatives after the three-four day rain that we had in Tucson, Arizona and it was a attack spectacular experience. The trail runs back and forth through the stream, even though it was cold it was a blast.

If you're looking for a family experience this is the one. If you're looking for a challenging run this is it. If you're looking for a trail that allows dogs this is definitely your trail.

And without further ado; happy trails!

This was awesome and going counterclockwise was good because all the stairs were downhill. I was surprised there was some shade along the way, especially in the canyon. The views were terrific. The trail is well maintained and easy to follow. It is sandy and some spots are like walking on a beach so I was slowed a bit by that. I thought the trail was very easy.

great quick hike, if I had a bit more time I would have gone around twice!

Very easy and enjoyable hike. Benches to stop and just take in the beautiful scenery. It's hard to believe the road is so close because all you hear are the birds and the breeze. Will definitely go back for a quick and easy walk in a beautiful setting.
September 2016

Where the trail starts to loop back go off trail, it's good stuff

Good trail for a simple hike - not very much incline, lots of birds and soft sand. Trail is easy to determine.

This hike was perfect for a short hike. You saw Soo much beautiful scenery throughout it that you didn't even realize it was a loop! I didn't see anything about a creek when I looked it up, but there was a creek that you had to cross a couple of times, but it was Soo low that it was easy. I would do that hike over and over!!

Very easy trail and dog friendly.

I already knew coming in that it was going to be a short and easy trail. What I didn't know is how beautiful the scenery is.

I thought this trail would be more like just walking and I was pleasantly surprised. It's an easy walk for a lot of it but it has interesting scenery along most of the trail and some fun rocky parts and stairs. I originally went for the Romero Pools hike but my friend couldn't make it so we turned back and did the loop instead which was a bummer but I'd be okay with walking the loop again.

One of my favorite hikes; trail was in great condition and love to listen to the water as you hike along the creek.

1st half of the trip was on the southern side of the loop. Very exposed to sun but nice views up at the mtns. 2nd half of trip was more exciting as it followed the riverbed. The stream was running and my son jumped in at the end. Went to Saturday night concert series after the hike.

Really easy but well enough challenging for a nice run!

First time trailer and Duane and I loved it. We only went a little over 2 miles in but will plan our next hike all the way. Fairly easy, we take shears but the trail was in decent shape.

Good trail for daily maintenance especially now that the evenings are cooler. Easy trail.

This is a great hike for beginners. The views of the foothills and the mountains were beautiful. We'll be doing this again.