Canyon Loop Trail - Catalina State Park

Canyon Loop Trail - Catalina State Park is a 2.2 mile loop trail located near Tucson, AZ and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible from September until May. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Easy hike along desert landscape, with rugged mountain views This is a fun, moderate hike that has a well-defined trail. Along the trail are many different desert plants, la cholla, prickly pear, sahauro, and desert shrubs. The first half of the hike, you will have a constant view of rugged mountain ridges. The second half of the hike will drop you down and right along a wash/creek bed that you will cross four times. During the monsoon season (May- August) the wash will be full of water, so be careful when crossing. Also remember that this is the desert and with it comes desert critters (snakes, scorpions, etc.) Keep your eyes open and you will be fine, and remember to drink lots of water!! During the summer months the best time to hike, would be in the morning hours.

Where the trail starts to loop back go off trail, it's good stuff

Good trail for a simple hike - not very much incline, lots of birds and soft sand. Trail is easy to determine.

This hike was perfect for a short hike. You saw Soo much beautiful scenery throughout it that you didn't even realize it was a loop! I didn't see anything about a creek when I looked it up, but there was a creek that you had to cross a couple of times, but it was Soo low that it was easy. I would do that hike over and over!!

Very easy trail and dog friendly.

I already knew coming in that it was going to be a short and easy trail. What I didn't know is how beautiful the scenery is.

I thought this trail would be more like just walking and I was pleasantly surprised. It's an easy walk for a lot of it but it has interesting scenery along most of the trail and some fun rocky parts and stairs. I originally went for the Romero Pools hike but my friend couldn't make it so we turned back and did the loop instead which was a bummer but I'd be okay with walking the loop again.

One of my favorite hikes; trail was in great condition and love to listen to the water as you hike along the creek.

1st half of the trip was on the southern side of the loop. Very exposed to sun but nice views up at the mtns. 2nd half of trip was more exciting as it followed the riverbed. The stream was running and my son jumped in at the end. Went to Saturday night concert series after the hike.

Really easy but well enough challenging for a nice run!

First time trailer and Duane and I loved it. We only went a little over 2 miles in but will plan our next hike all the way. Fairly easy, we take shears but the trail was in decent shape.

Good trail for daily maintenance especially now that the evenings are cooler. Easy trail.

This is a great hike for beginners. The views of the foothills and the mountains were beautiful. We'll be doing this again.

This trail shows the Sonoran desert in full view without going out Mt Lemmon. I was so amazing to see an actual river in Tucson! My kids loved it! Make sure you bring your water of course! Towards the end of the trail we stopped to have a picnic next to the giant saguaros on the picnic tables provided.

Such a fun hike- I love that there are so many trails/routes to choose from. My boyfriend and I chose to do the romero to the montrose pools trek- we brought two dogs who absolutely loved the pools- super easy, up and back, will definitely do this one again.

This is a great hike for families with kids of all ages. It isn't overly demanding and offers a variety of views, plant life, flowers, lizards, birds and even snakes! We hiked it in the morning and the conditions were ideal. Enjoy the day!

Hard to beat this trail. It's easy to get to, has great views with a good mix of terrain and lots of Saquaros.

My 7 yr old and I hiked this trail today and loved it! Passed about a dozen people during the hike. The beginning is a steep climb and then it's level for about 2/3 of the hike. Then you go down steps and in/out of the wash an many streams! Beautifully huge saguaro cacti and mountain desert terrain/wildlife. Will definitely do this hike again!

It was nice easy trail. Nice views