EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Camelback Mountain Trail

Camelback Mountain Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

Distinctive and dominant on the Phoenix landscape, Camelback Mountain is just begging to be conquered. Distinctive and dominant on the Phoenix landscape, Camelback Mountain is just begging to be conquered. The two different routes to the 2,680ft summit offer different challenges, and both are featured in this guide. Echo Canyon is the popular route, which ascends 1,400 foot up the western side of the mountain in just over a mile. The journey quickly becomes a real leg-burner but delivers some good hiking experiences and a varied terrain. The Cholla trail heads up a well maintained trail on Camelback's east flank, but becomes a challenging and technical ascent upon reaching the ridgeline. This fun 1.3 mile route becomes increasingly rocky and precipitous, and though the conditions here are not extreme, we'd certainly urge caution and wouldn't recommend this route for young children or folk with a strong aversion to heights. Elevation gain: - Approx. 1,300ft (from 1,450 - 2,680ft)

One of my favourite hikes to date! So beautiful. A great scrambling mix :)

I haven't done anything like this in years. It was a lot of fun though. I went on a Friday early morning. Not to packed.

One of my favorites!

Living about a mile away I often biked there before my hike. I have done both sides numerous times and it's great both ways. I would suggest starting super early in the morn and not on the weekends. Always packed but always a good time! :)