Camelback Mountain Trail

Camelback Mountain Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenix, Arizona that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

Distinctive and dominant on the Phoenix landscape, Camelback Mountain is just begging to be conquered. Distinctive and dominant on the Phoenix landscape, Camelback Mountain is just begging to be conquered. The two different routes to the 2,680ft summit offer different challenges, and both are featured in this guide. Echo Canyon is the popular route, which ascends 1,400 foot up the western side of the mountain in just over a mile. The journey quickly becomes a real leg-burner but delivers some good hiking experiences and a varied terrain. The Cholla trail heads up a well maintained trail on Camelback's east flank, but becomes a challenging and technical ascent upon reaching the ridgeline. This fun 1.3 mile route becomes increasingly rocky and precipitous, and though the conditions here are not extreme, we'd certainly urge caution and wouldn't recommend this route for young children or folk with a strong aversion to heights. Elevation gain: - Approx. 1,300ft (from 1,450 - 2,680ft)

7 minutes ago

took our soccer team here for a quick side trip, the group of 15 year old girls enjoyed it very much

Windy at the top

Difficult but worth it

loved this challenging hike . lots of friendly people on the trail. my body was sore for 4 days.

Rough scramble! Great hike!

geocaching

Mint

Visitor to Phoenix for first time. A much younger, good looking guy in fabulous shape tricked me into going on this "hike". Being from the Midwest, I pictured a hike much differently. It is a CLIMB! NONSTOP! I felt like Frodo with every turn.... Looking up at Mordor as it seemed to be further out of reach!
All kidding aside, I DID IT! it took about 1.5 hours but a stellar workout considering I don't workout much.
Just remember it IS a climb!

Avoid weekends and avoid the heat, but this desert mountain hike with urban convenience is challenging and beautiful. I haven't lived in AZ in over a decade, but every time I am in the area, I try to fit in a Camelback hike.