Butterfield to Gadsen Loop Trail

Butterfield to Gadsen Loop Trail is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Goodyear, AZ and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From central Phoenix, take I-10 west to Estrella Parkway exit. Travel south to Vineyard Ave. Turn east on Vineyard Ave. to the Estrella Mountain Regional Park entrance on the south side. $6 entry fee per car.

We hiked Coldwater to Dysart to Butterfield. The gravel parking area by the trailhead had lots of horse trailers and horses. We thought we would see horses on the trail, but we actually didn't. The section of Butterfield we walked was a narrow path, smooth, with some ups & downs. I would consider it easy to moderate. We saw more people on this trail (runners) but no bikes. The full loop we hiked with my dogs was 3.4 miles and took us 1 hour, 40 minutes. The trails were clearly marked, which was nice. There is almost no shade, but it was a beautiful January day for a hike (55-64 degrees). There was lots of horse poop along the way, but we did not see any dog poop. The scenery was your typical desert landscape with cactus, bushes, and rocks. Fortunately, cactus was not a problem on the trail, and neither were ants. The only wildlife we saw were some quail back at the parking lot. I enjoyed the hike, but I would like to try it in reverse next time. Note: the entrance fee to Estrella Mountain Regional Park is $6 per vehicle.