Butcher Jones Trail

Butcher Jones Trail is a 8.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mesa, Arizona that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

8.9 miles 1981 feet Out & Back

The Day Pass for Tonto National Forest is $8 and needs to be purchased ahead of time. One location that has the passes for sale is the Chevron gas station at the intersection of 87 and McDowell Street.

Excellent views of saguaro lake !

Great hike! Beautiful views. Narrow trail but easy. LOTS of dogs today! My Boxer enjoyed dipping herself in the water throughout the trail.

Wonderful trail- mostly flat, very limited incline. Trails are narrow, but the views are amazing!

This is my favorite trail so far. Beautiful and easy to navigate and close to home. Love it!

off road driving

off road driving

Completing the loop was a very gratifying experience. Not one dull moment.

Very pretty, very easy hike.

This hike was a lot of fun and the views are amazing. We hiked with our two dogs who both really enjoyed taking a dip at campers cove. The only reason it wasn't 5 stars was there was quite a bit of trash, especially is the marsh areas. It's so sad that people can be in such a beautiful place and ruin it with their garbage.

I am new to Phoenix and I love to trail run/hike in Georgia where I am from. This was a great choice to hike. I would like that trail to be marked better. The path was easy to find most of the time until we got to the end and we were not sure if it had ended or not.

fun, beautiful and not difficult.

FIRST!!! This is NOT a 4.8 mile "out and back". This is a 4.8 mile OUT and a 4.8 mile BACK = 9.6 miles. I can do 9.6 miles. But when I searched for a hike between "2-5 miles", because I was taking my pup, this one showed up. I didn't do my due diligence enough because I was ~3 miles in and thought I was close to the end (thinking it was about 2.4 miles in and wasn't keeping close track of my distance) and looked at the map and found out I still had almost 2 miles to go!!! Seriously? Who writes these descriptions??? ANOTHER THING: the day pass for Tonto Nat'l Forest is ***$8**** SERIOUSLY! Who writes these trail descriptions?!?!?! And "Get it at the gas station of 87" isn't helpful. Ya, there's a gas station on 87, but it's about 14 miles from Butcher Jones rec area entrance. I didn't go east on 87 to start with, so I can't say what that trek provides. I did go north on Bush to 87, and turned left onto 87 and continued west for about 12 miles and at the corner of 87 and McDowell Street is a Chevron that sells them. I didn't research before going and I was driving from Mesa along 60 to Usery Pass to Bush. I thought there would have been a gas station before I got there but I misjudged. Just keep that in mind when planning to go here if you're new to the area like me. I've been hiking all over the Phoenix metro area since moving here ~7 weeks ago. I've been toying with "what make a hike easy or moderate or hard?" on here and have found that there are some people in great shape that say the moderates or hards are "easy" Psh seriously? then don't use this page/app! Then I started noticing that "out and back" may or may NOT mean just out and then have to double to get the full distance OR it means the whole "out and back". This website is kind of ridiculous. I'm going to stick with it because it does help with finding new trails and the users help with their recording, pictures, and reviews. But keep in mind to look at the uphills, versus down- if you do an out and back, whenever you go down, you have to go back up- sounds obvious but for a newbie like me it's not at first flush...and I think this website has a lot of newbies because talking to locals and people at REI, this website/app is not used by them at all. Also look closely at the distance from one end to the other, and maybe look at how users have reviewed other trails to get a sense of what their rating system is because it's rather subjective. Take that for what it's worth and keep in mind that I'm typing this late at night after the hike and dinner and so forth so it might be disjointed and not very good prose. OK!! Now to my review of this particular trail: It was SO GREAT being near a body of water, having moved here from Florida! The views were spectacular! I could see Weavers Needle, Flatiron, and Four Peeks from the drive to the parking area and then along the trail. There were a few spots where I could relatively easily take my boy Shadow (my dog) down to the water. However, the shores are mostly rocks and not sand and the rocks at the edge and in the water are covered in algae so they can be slippery. I didn't notice until the way back that you are making a pretty steep ascent and then descent...(again the "newbie" thing) which means when you are going back you are making, in my opinion, a pretty steep ascent into the descent - it felt like more of a challenge going back. There are several side spurs to go check out views and get closer to the water. Be careful that you follow pretty close the same trail back to the main path as there are not a lot of markings and looking for paths that are "worn" will take you the wrong way often enough for me to make this comment because several time we didn't and had to choose between backtracking through cacti or pushing forward into the unknown a few times. There are also some steep drop-offs that my dog thought were interesting and I had to pull him back (I'm a mom so that instinct kicked in quickly). There were times where the trail seemed to go a certain way only to find that when I looked at the app I had gone off the main path. There was a point at about mile 2.2 that was confusing to go for me as to where to go, for whatever reason. The app told me to go down a ravine, so I did. But there was a little switchback further to the right that was way easier. In case you want to know who did that stupid trek down into the ravine, you'll know it's me because I put a line of rocks to indicate not to go that way! hahahah! There was a campsite on a side spur near the water. Might be cool to go with some friends, but there was a LOT of trash in that area, which was disappointing. I want to go again to finish the hike because it was really pretty, but it was getting towards sunset when we turned around to hike the ~3 miles back to the car. I would recommend this hike to anyone!! And I think the "moderate" assignment is accurate. I was just disappointed in the description and being pensive about other trail d

very beautiful and scenic hike

Descent scenic hike. Should be rated as easy.

It's a narrow trail, with a lot of cactus to avoid and even at the end of October, it was 5 - 10 degrees too hot (recommend Nov - March). With that said, it's nice being able to jump into the lake and cool off and has some pretty views of the lake. Worth the trip. Also, make sure to get a Tonto Park Pass on your way. It's $8 and you can pick it up at one of the gas stations off the 87.

make sure you pick up the tonto pass ($8) at any of the gas stations that sell them, there is a station on the 87 right by the ft McDowell casino.
I have done this hike 2x this week. the first time there were horses that were at the parking lot, drinking from the water, as I returned....super cool. the hike is relatively easy as far as the heights you you will have to go. there are a few areas that are somewhat difficult to navigate, but just watch your footing and you will be fine.
got a little scared at the beginning, walking under the canopy, because a rabbit jumped out at me! haha. IRS a beautiful hike, and basically a nice stroll that you can do in about two hours...