Bursera Trail

Bursera Trail is a 7.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Phoenix, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

7.1 miles 1934 feet Loop

cave

There is no water anywhere on this trail, So bring plenty of water. You will be doing a lot of uphill hiking. In the fall and winter there is much more life to see on this hike. Dogs are allowed and I did not mark this above because it is just to hot to take a dog on a long hike like this. Remember this is July so right now it is hot and dry. Right now this is no shade at all, you will be in the sun the whole way.

Loved all the saguaros but I'm not used to the unshaded desert environment. The sun is pretty harsh, even in November. This is definitely a moderate hike, with the most difficult climb at the beginning (left at the first fork).

Great trail with awesome views. There's some loose rock on your way down the steep path, so if are with young children be very careful. I think I heard a rattler in the distance, so be aware that there might be snakes. Once you get to the top you won't be disappointed.

I'm a new hiker so the toughest part of this trail was going back. Going back over this trail was a challenge. I think the fact there are as many back to back climbs on the return is what makes it a little tricky.

The Bursera/Gila loop is a great trail to hike when getting your wind up after being inactive for a few years. If you want to climb right off the bat, take Bursera (left fork) from the Chandler Blvd. parking lot. If you want to establish a good pace before the climb, take Gila (right fork) through the wash from the parking lot. Very quiet and awesome views.

Good hike bring water
Once you get in a ways it's nice and quiet watch for rattlers

Great views and a good workout! Sunset was beautiful too!

Love this trail, have only accomplished the Bursera Gila Trail loop. I don't know who rated this moderate, it's a great workout and challenge for me. Beautiful views.

Great trail. I have hiked a loop of Bursera-National-Pyramid, which works out to 10-11 miles, and it's probably my favorite hike on all of South Mountain. Great views of the Lost Ranch from Bursera. Great parking lot at the trailhead, too. Highly recommend!

I use this trail to challenge myself to keep up a decent pace on the uphill! I've only hiked the ridge section adjacent to the Chandler Blvd parking area. Goal is to explore more of the trail during this winter season! I love the open view without much city-scape! Seems more like wilderness but it's close to home!

did a modidified bursera

went out pyramid

did national along the ridge

then buserea back to parking lot at the end of w chandler

great day double summit once on pyramid once on bursera

you can avoid the second sumitt by taking gila trail back to the cars

Good view when on the upper edge of the mountains

This is a great trail, especially if you enjoy solitude. The first mile you will see many hikers, but once it gets steep and rocky it weeds them out. The trail follows a series of switchbacks to a ridge line, then descends down.

The Busera trail is well marked, including mileage markers. You will notice a trail to the north as you are winding down the trail the Busera trail. This is a nice way to get back to complete the loop.

At the mile post at like 2.4 miles, you'll see the trail that goes east, and is not marked. This is the Gila trail, and will get you back the direction you came.

Overall a great trail, very quiet, secluded, etc. I'll be back!

It was a very hot and humid day today about 113. I never seen anyone else on the trail. I brought 5 liters of water and used all 5 liters. There was no shade today. I did end up going in one of the old mines just to get out of the sun and cool down a little, then finished my hike.
Be prepared

started out about 90 degrees and overcast and humid. Met a few onther hikers along the way. The hike is a good work out and there are some old mines along the way. I did run intoa young red racer but i was to slow with the camera. I will do this again in the spring when the flowers are in bloom.