Brown Mountain Loop Trail

Brown Mountain Loop Trail is a 4.1 mile loop trail located near Tucson, AZ and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is accessible from October until April. Horses are also able to use this trail.

head west on E Speedway Blvd for 7.2 miles. Here Speedway becomes Gates Pass Blvd. Continue onto W Gates Pass Blvd for 4.8 miles. Turn right at Kinney Rd and follow for 2.4 miles. Turn into the Juan Santa Cruz Picnic Grounds, just before the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. The unmarked trailhead is at the southern-most tip of the parking area. (Lat:32.23923 Lon:-111.16606)

I agree that this is an easy trail. There's a restroom in the middle of it, which is nice. Saw no one, but it's not a trail that takes you 'away', as signs of civilization are all around you for most of it. Saw lots of hawks.
I recommend this for a quick and easy hike when you don't have much time. Good for beginners.

I don't have much to rate it against since it was my first hike. We hiked across the ridge from the picnic area to the north to the camp grounds to the south. My two year old rode in a back pack for the ride. I think he enjoyed it too. It wasn't too bad, a little rougher than I expected from other reviews. Very enjoyable and beautiful though.

Good, but not particularly different from many other hikes in Tucson area. Note that it is easy to lose the lower trail on the east side.

Do the whole 4-mile loop. Lots of different views, plus beautiful plant and mineral life.

Great hike, I ran most of it without issue. Awesome loop!

great family or non hiker trail

not to long not to steep

Fun trail with a lot of cholla to dodge...

I haven't done much in the way of actual hiking in many years, and recently decided I wanted to get back into it. This was my first hike in the process, following the Brown Mountain trail up to the Juan Santa Cruz picnic area, and then returning along the Cougar trail. I walk a lot for work, averaging around 11000 steps a day, but that's not quite the same as actual hiking. Brown Mountain was a good workout to start rebuilding the muscles and stamina, with enough climbs and descents to raise the heartrate and give some practice on basic trail techniques. Returning via Cougar trail made the last part of the hike easier, which can be a good thing for those of us who haven't built back up yet. I love the scenery in Tucson Mountain Park, and enjoyed shooting some photos along the trail.

A convenient hike to do in conjunction with a visit to the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum.

Great hike! Easy to moderate because some of the ridges are steep. Lots of cactus and thorny bushes very close on the trail so be very careful. The views were beautiful! You can do the mountain trail first and then take the cougar trail back to the car.

This is my first time up brown mountain loop trail it was a good hike beautiful views and a gorgeous sunset

This was my first time up brown mountain trail

Beautiful day; great views. Dogs are welcome! We both got a workout on the hills, but took the easy way back via Gougar trail.

I loved this trail it was a nice easy walk on the ridge line along the Brown Mountain then I looped around on Cougar Trail

This is a great hike with astounding views of the most beautiful desert on Earth! The trailhead isn't marked very well & we would never have found it if it weren't for the alltrails app. The hike is excellent for beginners and those who might be a little out of shape, but it does have a couple good ascensions that make you feel like you're accomplishing something. Plenty of cacti varieties including more Saguaros than you can count! Saw some evidence of animal life, but they are most likely only active in the early morning. April is a great time to see some Ocotillo, Prickly Pear and Saguaro flowers in bloom. Hike to the summit and back is just over 2 miles if you don't want to do the entire loop.

Nice trail that takes you up and down three hills.