Bog Springs Trail

Bog Springs Trail is a 2.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sonoita, AZ that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from March until November.

Directions from Tucson: Leave Interstate 19 at the Continental Road/Madera Canyon Exit #63. Turn east and follow signs to Bog Springs Campground in Madera Canyon Recreation Area. Turn left into the campground and drive around the loop to the trail parking area. The trail follows an old roadbed past campsite #13.

We did this trail in January with the intention to get to Kent Spring. We took our dog since this is a dog-friendly hike (he seemed to enjoy it). The trail turns into a small pathway along the valley with great views. Once we arrived at Bog Spring, we were surrounded by large trees. The spring had no water but the location was a nice place to sit and enjoy nature. We did not continue to Kent Spring, but the hike was worth it. I hope to visit again in late Fall when the trees begin to change color.

This was my first trail in the mountains as I am from Arkansas and we don't have mountains, needless to say it was a bit of a challenge for my "hill legs". I wouldn't say it isn't an overly difficult trail, but I took some breaks for sure.

Pretty good views of the canyon along the way but the highlight was certainly the spring itself. It's tucked back in a shady holler and it was nice to relax in the shade for a few minutes.

There is a good diversity in flora along the trail, most of which was foreign to this hillbilly. The cacti were pretty neat as were the large trees at the spring. They seemed really out of place among the small bushy trees along the trail.

I made a loop with the adjoining Kent Spring and Sylvester Spring trails. Which was about four miles all together.

We did this trip with my 3, 4, and 6 year old kids. For little kids, this trail has some steep sections and narrow trails, but none that they couldn't complete while holding a hand. The beginning of the trail, which also leads to Kent Springs and Four Springs, doesn't have much shade, so it is good to start before the heat of the day. Once you are on the Bog Springs trail, there is more shade, but some steep and narrow sections (as I described above). There are also some good (but not spectacular) views of the canyon out towards Green Valley, AZ. This was the first "real hike" for my kids and they did great. The springs only had stagnant water, so I recommend that you pack your own. We were back by lunch time, even with several stops to rest little legs.

Nice trail great views not too difficult made it into a loop using Kent Springs trail