Black Mountain Trail

Black Mountain Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cave Creek, AZ that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

First time up the baby. What a great, short, cardio workout!! Will definitely do this one again. Like previous reviews, good shoes are a must.. I would also recommend some sort of hiking gloves, lots of Sharp rocks and steep slopes which may require some hand work. Enjoy the hike, the top makes it worth the leg burn !!!!

This hike should be rated harder than moderate. For example the Cholla Trail is much less steep but is rated difficult. This is also a fun hike to do at night time for good views of the city.

This trail seems a bit more difficult than moderate. It is very steep and footing is tough. The view from the top is worth the climb. It is definitely more of a "climb" than a "hike." Make sure to wear shoes with good traction and support. I did this trail by myself, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you know the trail well. Bring a friend on this one.

Not a moderate hike since it gets pretty steep. It's also uneven as most of the trail is made of large rocks.

Awesome view when you get to the top. Some sections are a little tricky with steep inclines and you have to use your hands to help. Also lots of loose shale rock so watch your footing.

Great hike. (warning trail is very steep) It took us about an 1 hour 17 min to go up. Recommend 2 one liter water bottles and energy bars for energy. Also I recommend you start the hike early so that you beat the sun.

Not a bad little climb stay left for more ups and downs, go right for more of a constant climb. Great views of Carefree & Cave Creek.

**No sandals, these jagged rocks are unforgiving.

It was a nice change up from mountains I usually climb. Moderate climb with lots of jagged rocks Would do it again.

Great trail. Look for the white spray paint dots to stay on trail. If you're walking on black rocks, you're off trail. I would NOT bring a dog; way too steep.

Very steep. Very rocky. Very primarily. Amazing views. Great hike. Short and sweet, but it will make you work for it.

Great trail! But NOT a easy trail and sometimes hard to know which direction is the right way. Good workout!!

Definitely rocky and not an easy trail. Rock climbing involved closer to the top.

I hiked did this one before I got fit, and it just about killed me. On the other hand, I know relatively fit people who would run it multiple times a week. I highly recommend a hat and lots of water, even in January (it's Arizona, people).

Great workout, although I keep losing the trail.

Not a fan