Bill Williams Mountain Trail

Bill Williams Mountain Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Williams, AZ that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Williams: Go west from the downtown on Bill Williams Avenue about one mile; turn left at Clover Hill and proceed along the frontage road to the turnoff to Williams Ranger District office. Follow the signs to the trailhead.

Great hike. Would have been better in the early fall or spring. Starts out rough levels out, then finishes you off on the last mile. Well worth the views though. Great training for Humphrey's or GC hikes.

Wonderful day hike! Definitely a good workout. Starts out with a decent uphill climb then flattens out. But once you hit that two mile marker, be prepared! Definitely worth it once you get to the top. Would do it again!

Lovely trail. I would call this slightly moderate. But it's short and nice to hike on a weekend afternoon. Beautiful after the rain since there are so many different types of mushrooms. Thus my nickname "the mushroom trail"

beautiful trail

Could be that my plans changed and I ended up hiking this one. It was only difficult because of the high stone steps in the first part the rest of the trail was a slow climb but really not much to see or much to sniff for the dogs. Kinda boring trail. I'd say if your training it's perfect, if you're out looking for a nice hike skip this one.

Hike was difficult. 3 miles from Ranger Station to the trail junction, then another 3/4 mile to look out. Enjoyed the hike, beautiful wooded views.

This trail (as others say on here) is a little more challenging than I anticipated. I started from the Ranger Station in Williams mid-March. The first 2 miles are pretty low grade inclines. I was hiking about 20-30 mins per mile with a day pack, trekking poles, and my dog. Once I hit Mile Marker 2 (which I'm not sure where the mile markers originate from), I hit snow and the terrain changed drastically! hahaa! There were also a lot of down trees and the snow got as high as 1.5 ft! I slipped a lot, and my shoes got stuck in the snow. It took me maybe 2-2.5 hours for those last two miles. Once you reach the top of that last stretch of the trail, you cross a service road (which I didn't see the trail marker) so you can either reach the lookout tower through the service road, or the trail across the service road. I was happy I made it, and I think it's good I didn't read or quite comprehend how steep the incline would change, I may have turned around! Good hike though. Only thing, lots of towers.

Great Hike! Would consider it a strenuous hike, primarily uphill. Great terrain change the entire way.

I was there today - not the most beautiful trail I've been on, but it's a nice hike, easy to follow, steep in parts, and slippery in parts this time of year. I want to correct the above information. The trail is accessible year-round, EXCEPT for a couple of months in the summer when it is closed due to fire risk. If you're planning to go in early-mid summer, check with the ranger station first to see if it's open: 928-635-5600. It is primarily used for hiking, but horses are also allowed. In a couple of places I had to watch my step!

Hiked this in the dead of winter where there was a ton of snow on the ground...but it was a blast!

Bill Williams trail is a bit of a fooler. Starts out easy to moderate but changes gear from half way between MP1 and MP2 to the summit. Exceeds 15% grade in places and exceeds 13% for that 2 1/2 miles. Went out on a limb and said demanding rather than moderate. Having said that, we enjoyed this hike mostly due to the contrast between the typical dry dusty Arizona and the almost jungle like change where the monsoons made themselves felt. Color everywhere! 3 hours up,6 hours round trip with a lengthy lunch and benchmarking at the summit. Not much of a view from the top, yet another antenna farm hence the 3 stars. A few people going up as we were coming down. Not a bad hike, great trail in spots but I think it would be a secondary destination. Logged 7.96 miles rt on the GPSr.

Love this trail, beautiful especially during monsoon time. We prefer to mountain bike this trail which takes from a typical uphill walk to a strenuous bike climb up with super fun technical down. We like coming up on the east side of the mountain than downhill to the ranger station. Great views from this peak.