EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Backway to Crown King

Backway to Crown King is a 26.6 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Peoria, AZ that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

26.6 miles 6066 feet Point to Point

scenic driving

Steep climb goes from desert to cooler mountains This is a challenging four-wheel-drive route but is also a great historical tour. Your trip will be greatly enhanced if you learn a little about the area before you go. A book I've found most helpful is Crown King and the Southern Bradshaws: A Complete History by Bruce M. Wilson. It explains the history and development of the mines and mining towns with pictures from the past. Knowing how things looked back then will help you understand what remains today. Located in Prescott National Forest. For current conditions call Bradshaw Ranger District (928) 443-8000 Most of this route is easy to moderate; however, there are a few difficult places that will challenge stock vehicles. The road has gotten worse over the years, especially the steepest part in the last four miles. Erosion has exposed more rocks and deep ruts have formed. Aggressive stock vehicles with good articulation can get up this trail but they may need to stack rocks or be helped with a tow strap.

off road driving

Great run. Moderate the whole way. There are some challenging areas but they ALL have bypasses.

off road driving

I've 4 wheeled the back way to Crown King 5 times. Every time with a group of good friends. We didn't make it a 6th time but we tried. It was snowing pretty hard and the 1st big hill we couldn't make it up!! The snow flakes were the size of silver dollars!! If I had lockers I could've made it but it would have been extremely dangerous. Going again very soon!!

We had a great trip on this trail. Unfortunately I hadn't turned on my GPS Tracking for AllTrails to Track our trip. But I have pics. !!! Came up through Mayor Az, then Cleator Az and up. Second Day Senator what a blast met some cool people too.