Apache Trail

Apache Trail is a 38.6 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Apache Junction, AZ that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

38.7 miles 4642 feet Point to Point

scenic driving

Drove from Apache Junction to Tortilla Flat. The views are beautiful and we're looking forward to the drive to Roosevelt Lake this fall.

scenic driving

Absolutely gorgeous scenic drive. Take your time and enjoy the adventure.

it was vary beautiful, but it is a really easy hike. if you looking for something with boulders and elevation change, than this is not the trail for you. worth the hike though fort he view.

off road driving

Nice scenic route, I'm here every weekend on my KTM 640. Just watch out for drivers, sometimes their sight seeing and driving at the same time.

Cool!!!

scenic driving

Glad we finally went past Tortilla Flats...it was worth it. When driving, take your time and be extra careful around the blind turns and curves...unfortunately, others aren't always as careful. Spectacular views along the way and of the dam and bridge at the end...

scenic driving

Apache Trail is an awesome day trip. I did the entire loop starting on 87 from Mesa to 88 at Apache Junction once and just loved it. I didn't realize there are so many lakes on that route: Roosevelt, Apache, Canyon and Saguaro Lakes are all so close. The canyon walls are beautiful, the lakes so blue and picturesque. If you do the loop, I recommend going the Southbound route from Roosevelt Dam to Apache Junction. The views of the wash between the Dam and Apache Lake are spectacular.

off road driving

I drove down the Apache Trail and was quite amazed at how much nicer it was to navigate as I hadn't been down it for over 15 years. Lots of traffic with sightseers so the white knuckle drive of yesteryear is gone. Scenery was just as amazing. My goal was to check out the Reavis Ranch trailhead and possible parking opportunities for horse trailers.

I drove up the 3 mile side road off the Apache Trail to the trailhead and oh my God!! What awesome views of Apache Lake. Even if you don't ride horses this trail will provide you with some awesome photo taking moments. I'll be riding this trail in the Fall on my mule.

scenic driving

Drove from Apache Junction to Roosevelt Dam in 1968. Looking at the recent photos, I can tell it has really changed. I need to drive again.

off road driving

We drove this road thinking the map must have made a mistake. It indicated that this was an Arizona state highway, but the symbol was a dirt road. How could that be?

It was true. That made the trip a bit of an adventure through gorgeous, undeveloped country, a real throwback to the days in which the road was built as a supply route to build Roosevelt Lake in the early days of the 1900s. The road is mostly gravel from Apache Junction to Roosevelt Lake. Later road builders built freeways and good highways south and east of the "Apache Trail", as this road is known. So your day trip is Phoenix to Roosevelt Lake on the Apache Trail, state highway to Globe to the south, and back to Phoenix by freeway. Stop for pictures, views and to pee, and just enjoy remote Arizona at arms length from Phoenix. You'll need a car wash at the end of your trip to get the dust off. Very small price to pay.

We stumbled onto an absolute gem. Any car can make it. Go do it.

off road driving

Easy Trail To Drive Along, you'll see wonderful deep blue lakes as you follow the river up to the dam. Lots of places to pull off and take photo's along the way. Road is mostly dirt and can get very dusty, make sure you plan on a 45 min drive due to slower cars and trucks pulling boats.

scenic driving

i have done this drive many times. its one if the best drives in America and I have been to almost every state. if you are ever in Phoenix do not miss this amazing drive.

scenic driving

have done this many times over the years and still love it