Agua Caliente Warm Spring Trail

Agua Caliente Warm Spring Trail is a 9.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tucson, AZ that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

hot springs

04-07-12: This was my first time on this trail. We loved it!! It had a lot of elevation changes which made it unique and apart from your typical straight up and down trail. We left a 6:00 a.m. and took our time. By early afternoon the heat was getting a little rough. Nevertheless, the summit was perfect. A beautiful breeze and comfortable tempature. I was surprised in that we did not see a single hiker on this trail the entire time we were on it!! Looks like everyone hangs out at Sabino :) This is a hike well worth your time. Finally, you have to read the notes in the jar at the summit. Some are quite funny!!!

I live in the neighborhood of this trail, and have climbed it several times. The trailhead is at the end of Fort Lowell road as described. There is NO warm spring (or any other water) on this trail other than a man-made cattle pond about a quarter of the way on the trail (not potable). The trail has both up and down sections, and the last 1.5 miles beyond a large saddle is rugged and steep. The footing is often treacherous due to the unstable rocks and scree, aggravated by horse travel. Our GPS showed an elevation gain of 2,835 feet over the 4.5 miles route. Not recommended in the summer --TOO HOT!

Ha. if you are confused about directions, this trail is being confused by some with La Milagrosa Ridge trail Or La Milagrosa Aqua Caliente Check your maps and know your destination. La Milagrosa has less known and less traveled off shoots and less marked. Which i took to get to the falls, our intentional destination (I did not hike either of these trails but took an off shoot of LM ) I noticed in the reviews confusion. The ridge line trail is well known.. I discovered the confusion as I rechecked my leads map reading and then reread the reviews of the trails. Hopefully i will travel the full length of both trails and return with a review worth reading.