Abineau Trail to Bear Jaw Trail

Abineau Trail to Bear Jaw Trail is a 8.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Flagstaff, AZ that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

8.1 miles 2055 feet Loop

Directions from Flagstaff: Take US 89 north for 14 miles to FR 418. Go west on FR 418 for 7 miles to FR 9123J (about one mile east of Reese Tank). Go south on FR 9123J for 1.2 miles to the trailhead.

My girlfriend and I didn't start the hike until 1:40p.m. We started the Abineau Trail first. Which was probably I believe the best way to start. I wanted the incline done first before descending down on the backside of Bear Jaw Trail.
Even though we are late to see the early stages of Autumn through the trail. There were plenty of scenery to see throughout the loop. At this time of the year. The weather is obviously a lot cooler. Today was really windy and cold going up. I wouldn't change it for what it's worth to see. By the time we got back to the trailhead. The time was 5:15. I would definitely hike the trail again in the future.

Beautiful views. We started with Abineau trail first. This seemed easier to climb up with the dog rather then going down. It is steep and somewhat rocky. Weather was amazing and the fall colors were just great. We also saw many deer towards the end of the hike/day. The hike took over 5 hours with lots of stops to take pictures. Recommend driving out in a truck or SUV that can handle the dirt roads. AWD came in handy for me.

Nice trail however I never saw anything said about the drive to the trail. Plan on being on a gravel rd for a few miles with jagged rocks in place that are hard to not have to go over. We busted a tire.

Excellent, I recommend turning right at the sign-in log and going up the Abineau side and down the Bear Jaw side. I say this because of the open exposure to some pretty gusty winds the last 500' of the hike up Abineau and you'd probably rather be going up into them on the tight trail.

Great trails!! Beautiful hike, gorgeous views from the top of Abineau, cooler weather (70s), wild raspberries, only 5 other people on the trails today. We went Abineau to Bear Jaw, either way is a steep climb. Loved it!

Awesome trail. I think it is the best in AZ!

Great hike. Not many people on the trail. Only saw 5-6 people for the whole hike. Great views from the top out to the Grand Canyon. I recommend going up on Bear Jaw and down on Abigneau.

We went at a bad time, middle of summer after an incident, a lot of burned and cut trees. Still saw Elk and Cattle!

lots of snow on trail, hard to find way down. Bring a hiking stick, very steep at points. Lots of fun

Challenging trail. Beautiful Views! We were the only two people on trail the entire day! Was glorious!

Great loop hike. Trails good even with a trace of snow. Nice views of Kaibab Plateau at top. To get to trailhead, I found forest roads from US 180 better than FRs from US 89.

We found this trail in the June issue of Arizona highways magazine. Absolutely loved this trail!