Twin Peaks Trail

Twin Peaks Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Chugiak, AK that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until September.

4.8 miles 1979 feet Out & Back

The Twin Peaks trailhead can be reached by walking away from Eklutna Lake and crossing Thachkatnu Creek and heading up the mountain. The trail winds up the East Twin Peak at a fairly steep elevation for most of the hike. Views of Eklutna Lake can be seen for the entire hike; but doesn't really become worthwhile until you get above the tree line. There is a bench that overlooks Eklutna Lake, the surrounding peaks (West Twin Peak, East Twin Peak, Pepper Peak) and the Glacier. If you continue on past the bench using the trail goats, dall sheep, bald eagles, and bear are likely to be seen. Late in the summer berries of various sorts blanket the mountainside.

Mild hike, innumerable amounts of mountain goats- bring binoculars. GORGEOUS LAKE ... beautiful hike. Plenty of spots to rest, if you continue to hike the peak it can be quite steep. No snow on the trail whatsoever when I hiked it. Enjoy, be safe and never stop exploring.

I agree with another review, you don't have to go to the end. Unless you just want extra exercise and more time enjoying being on the trail, once you get to the nice lake view you can stop. After that the views aren't as good. Crowded trail, I went on a Saturday evening and passed a lot of groups going up. Still makes for a nice day hike.

Good view but if I could do it again I'd keep going to Pepper Peak

Great trail. Especially in the fall because you are surrounded by forest and the colors are amazing. Has quite a bit of elevation. We stopped around 2 miles at the first bench. The rest of the way is loose rocks and we had our dog.

Beautiful views of Eklutna Lake! Steady incline all the way up but not difficult.

Absolutely beautiful. My children love it!

Great hike. Straight up incline the entire way.
Gorgeous view of Eklutna lake and twin peaks.

Good condition, steep loose rocks for last push to top.

The trail was steeper than I expected, but totally worth the hike up. The views were amazing. I cannot stress enough to be prepared for bear and moose. While coming back down, we found fresh bear droppings. Also, a momma moose and her baby were blocking the trail. Another moose was spotted not too long after that. Bring bug spray, bear spray, bear bell, water, and a snack. I would do this trail again!

Trail conditions were great, clear sky and sunny not to many other hikers. Really thinned out past the first bench. Bring pleanty of water on a hot day, im glad we did. Great short hike if you only have a few hours.

Hiked this three weeks ago. Little snowy and muddy at the top, by the second bench, but gorgeous views and sighting of Dall sheep.

I am going to review this honestly. As a 36 year old, overweight but physically active woman with bad knees this hike was intense. I have very short legs and shortened calf muscles so any inclines are rough on me. Is it easy? Not so much. Would I do it again? Probably, at least to the first bench. After that bench the trail got much steeper and the views got considerable less picturesque. The waterfall was just a trickle this spring, and it was brown past the bench. Maybe it would be prettier later in the summer. I am glad I did the entire hike, the trail was well maintained, easy to follow, clean and lovely. I only complain because it was very steep and difficult for me so I had to take many breaks along the way. The abandoned car along the trail was definitely a puzzle. How did that even happen? It was a nice place to explore a mystery and take a water break. We did run across a black bear and several piles of fresh scat. Make sure to bring bells and spray!

Hiked it in July 2015. Great day, beautiful weather. Rainey(dog) was a little trooper, running back n forth on the trail checking on us. We were all of us pooped out after that climb however the ice cream stop on our way out perked us up. :)

Anyone have any information about that old blue car down the side of the mountain at the beginning of the hike? There's no way that car could have driven up that trail. My friends and I went down to it and saw names and dates scratched into the paint from as far back as '54. It was so cool and I'm so curious!

Nice hike that is consider moderate but it might get harder in some areas but doable. Had fun with my kids and they made it good. Nice view of Eklutna lake, those are beautiful pictures...

Great views, moderate hike but can be a bit strenuous in areas! $5 parking fee but good luck finding a parking spot! We had to park about a half mile down the road and walk to the trailhead! Not complaining because I could use the exercise, however, the last thing I want to do after a 6-mile hike up a mountain side and back down it is walk another half mile to get to my vehicle. You would think that $5/vehicle that they would make more parking spots closer to the trailhead and lake!

I haven't been up here since 1975. The thought of seeing this area after it has been humanized would be interesting. I remember wonderful views from the top.

This trail starts at the Twin Peaks Recreation Area on the shore of Eklutna Lake. This is a several mile long lake sitting a a valley of huge mountains and is quite spectacular. The Recreation Area has a large overnight camp ground, boat launch, kayak and Mt bike rentals. Two large paved day parking lots and a toilet house with a pay box also. $5.00 per auto use fee 2012. The trail is a gradual elevation gainer up to the first lake viewpoint where there is a bench to rest on. This is about 1 mile in. The trail heads on up about another mile where you break out of the tree line and come to another bench which has a commanding view of another valley that has a stream flowing down it. Take binoculars to look for wild life across the far side. Now the trail heads steeply up the last stretch over the ridge line to the end and a great view of the lake far below. Watch your step crossing the ridge and rocks along the trail. It's very safe but steep and rocky the last bit. Bring bug juice as its buggy down lower and you will break a sweat which draws them in. Also a sweat band and small hand towel is nice to have. This one is a workout but worth the effort. Do it!