Three Lakes and Ideal Cove Trail

Three Lakes and Ideal Cove Trail is a 7 mile loop trail located near Petersburg, AK and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from April until October.

My husband and I hiked the three lakes trail. Each lake is named after a part of the birds name that migrates through petersburg every year. The Bird's name is Sand Hill Crane, so you have Sand Lake, Hill Lake, and Crane Lake, but most of the locals simply call them three lakes. There is one smaller lakes between the Sand and Hill Lakes, called Shelter lake... becuase it has a small three wall log shelter with a picnic table inside.

There is a trail to each lake from the main road, and each of those trails connect to each other. We started at Crane Lake, the most southern and saw all three lake, as my husband fished along the way.

The trails are not hard at all, they are a side walk of wooden deck materials so you don't have to walk in the muskeg. Its a beautiful area! Trees and moss everywhere! So many different colors of green. It sprinkled nearly the whole time and by the end i wish i would have worn my rain pants, by it was still worth the trip. Each lake has a row bow that anyone can use. While I dried off at Shelter Lake (in the shelter) my husband fished and caught fish in the lake.

There was one spot between Shelter lake and Sand Lake where some trees had falled over the trail and we had to navagate the muskeg, but there was a bunch of evidence that the repairs were underway.

This trail is not wide enough for a wheelchair, and there are spots with quite a few steps, just fyi.