The Goat Trail

DIFFICULTY 2 reviews

The Goat Trail is located near Copper Center, AK. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

This is an amazing trip in Wrangell-St. Elias. Great waterfalls, dramatic peaks, glaciers, etc. You will likely see other parties out there, so don't expect to have the whole place to yourself. Get a good USGS map, not just a GPS. I would also urge great caution for the river crossings. Crossing Toby Creek and the Chitistone is nothing to take lightly. Be prepared for some bushwhacking, but try to avoid it whenever possible. Although this trip is doable in 5 days, I'd strongly recommend taking at least eight days to enjoy some day hikes and side trips. I'd be happy to discuss this further and share some photos and tips. Email me at if you'd like.

Well...not sure where to begin with this! What a trip/trail. We were flown in and could not do the entire trail due to inaccessibility of snow and ice. However we did 7 days out here and saw bears, goats, sheep, avalanches, slides and fantastic scenary! The hike was fairly strenuous having to over uneven boulders and terrain. We used ropes in one section as an aide. Crossing the rivers proved to be our nemecist though. We were ok for the first half of the trip and then all hell broke loose on the return. Weather conditions can make or break you and the trip (as with any Alaskan adventure!). Would love to do this trip again though.