South Fork Eagle River Trail

South Fork Eagle River Trail is a 10.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Eagle River, AK that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a long hike. Close to 11 miles. Bring plenty of water and a snack for yourself and dog. We took our dog and the boulders at the end are very challenging. I wouldn't take him again. We had a hard time scaling them. Beautiful scenery though.

It was a beautiful hike. The kids and dogs loved it too!

What a fabulous hike - the views are spectacular and the lakes are breathtaking!! It's an easy trail yet challenging if you're not used to hiking long distances. No joke, wear sunscreen and bring a hat! That Alaskan sun can be wicked hot, even with mild cloud cover. Bring water, lots of drinking water (or a filter), snacks/energy bars, and a camera. The trail is dog-friendly but the boulder field at the end could be a bit of challenge for your K9 friends. One of our two chocolate labs got his rear foot stuck in between a couple of rocks. He freaked out a bit and started yelping - gave us a bit of scare but he was lucky and only had a couple scratches. Now, about that boulder field. We were told to "follow the cairns (piles of rocks used as trail markers)..." so we followed the biggest ones right through the field... We concluded that some of those cairns were erected purely for entertainment purposes for unsuspecting hikers like us. It took us 50 minutes to get through. On the way back we followed the cairns closest to Eagle Lake and it only took 25 minutes to get through the boulder field. Overall, this was an awesome hike and a great adventure.

The view is simply beautiful on this hike ... Once you get to the lakes it's just breathtaking!

So many side trails I want to try.

One of the most beautiful and breathtaking hikes you can find in eagle river, if not the most! Takes about 4 hours round trip if you keep moving, probably closer to 6+ if you really stop to take in the sights. Make sure you wear sunscreen on those hot summer days, a long hike like this is one of the few times I ended up looking like a lobster in Alaska.

Incredible

If you want to do the whole trail at walking pace plan for a whole day trip! We had so much fun going a little off the beaten path and exploring further. It was very muddy, so I suggest some waterproof hiking boots if you don't want to get your feet wet. We managed to maneuver around it for the most part. But the views at the end of the trail are spectacular! I can't wait to go back and hike even further past the lakes.

Great. Boulder field at the end make it a bit more difficult.

Great trail! It's beautiful all along the way. The end portion is 100% bouldering over glacier erratics--arduous but doable. The spectacular scale and glacial silt-tinted and fresh water lakes at the end is your reward. Bring plenty of water, a few snacks, and footwear good for bouldering.

The hike to Symphony and Eagle Lakes was good if you plan on doing a short overnight trip. We started around 4:30 and made it to the lake by 6:45. There was little to no elevation change almost the whole trip. There are many ponds and creeks along the way which is good for dogs on a half way. There were snow patches along the way and the lake was still frozen over.

I love this trail and hike it several times a year. The payoff is wondrous to behold and well worth it. I would suggest a good camera, bear bells, bear spray, bug repellent, water, snacks and good shoes. Perhaps a bit of sunscreen for the sunny days. It can be rather long but the changing terrain and scenery keep the trail from becoming boring. There are some lovely places to stop and rest along the way. It would be fun to overnight out here. I wish I had a backpack kayak, every time I hike this trail I think that. Might be the next investment :)

Great for a short backpacking trip.

Beautiful trail! Wear very good hiking shoes as parts of the trail can be rocky. Worth the hike to see beautiful lakes and winding streams along the way.