Ptarmigan Lake

DIFFICULTY 6 reviews

Ptarmigan Lake is a 15 mile trail located near Seward, AK. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from May until October.

15.0 miles 800 feet

I hiked this trail October1, 2016. My GPS measured it as 3.75 miles to the near edge of the lake. it was an overcast day, but very calm when I arrived. I got some fantastic reflection pictures because the water was so calm. I hiked about half way to the other end of the lake, and found several good vantage points for photos. The weather started to change, so I turned back at the point where the trail met a large Boulder face. This was elevated and had a view of a water cascade on the opposite side. Not many people on the trail at this time of year, very pleasant.

Trail is moderate with some AMAZING views. Not much elevation. The lake is beautiful but be sure to pack some bugs spray.

A very pretty hike done on a very pretty day. Easier coming out, as it in mainly downhill. I overnighted at the lake and watched a gorgeous sunrise. With a 40 lb pack and my dog, it took us 2 hours to hike in and 1.5 hours to hike out.

My wife and i have done this hike several times. It is a great day hike up to the lake for lunch and back. It usually takes us 2-3 hours to get to the lower end of the lake where there is a nice camping area with a bear proof food storage box. The trail can be a little overgrown later in the summer. It is not a tough hike and for the most part is a nice gently rise to the lake. Our dogs love to swim and play in the lake after the hike in, and we had a great time lounging by the water and cooling our feet.

We took Ptarmigan Lake Trail as far as the lake (3.5 miles one way). The trail continues on around the lake. The trail was pretty muddy, but Alaska has had 32 straight days of measurable rain in this area. The blueberries were out (and delicious). The bears thought so, too. Although we did not see any, we saw evidence of them. Very scenic trail, starting along the Ptarmigan Creek, then gradually up about 750 feet overlooking the valley and then back down to the lake. Most of it was easy to follow, but parts get somewhat overgrown. The view at the lake is really nice. Take a lunch and picnic...