Lazy Mountain Trail

Lazy Mountain Trail is a 4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Palmer, AK that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from May until October.

Lazy Mountain is steep, but the summit is worth it. Great views of the valley and the surrounding mountains. Trail can be a bit treacherous when wet because of the steepness, but I've also heard that it can be really dusty when dry, so choose your poison.

Great trail, great 360 degree viewpoints past the treeline. We took the old trail up and came back down by lazy moose trail. It took us 5 hours to do the roundtrip.

Depending on the weather this could be a very difficult trail. On a average August day I took my 5 year old and my friend's 13 year old up to the top (I would not recommend for the average 5 and 13 year old). Beautiful views and a good challenge. It took us about 6.5 hours round trip.

Really tuff, but man oh man is it beautiful.

Had lots of fun ,however moderate is NOT how I would have described this trail! I only made it to the picnic table before my calfs gave out.lol still a good work out and a fantastic view

I enjoyed the intensity of this hike. Lazy Mountain goes straight up which become a challenge specially if it is muddy. By far the hardest hike that I have ever done. I would avoid the Lazy Moose trail though.

Pretty strenuous first couple of hills until the gravel walkway. After that it was about a mile and half though the woods through gradual incline until you get to a clearing. We stopped around there and picked some berries and lost track of time so never made it all the way to the top of Lazy Mt. Definitely not the easiest hike, but it was a nice 4 mile round trip we did!

The only thing lazy about lazy mountain were the trail builders. This hike is not moderate. I've done some tough hikes and this one was by far the worst. No switchbacks, just goes straight up. I'm in good shape, but I was sore for a straight week. This mountain kicked my butt.
All that being said, the view of Matanuska Peak at the top was MORE than worth it.
Took about 2 hours to go up and 1.5 to come down, and I was booking it both ways.

This is a pretty tough hike not for the faint of heart. I do recommend going straight up and not using the lazy moose trail it's a lot longer.

Not my favorite hike. The main trail is very steep and can be very strenuous. The Lazy Moose (longer with switchbacks) trail option is soooo long, takes you through thick brush and you still have some of the steeper/tougher sections of the main trail to go through before you reach the first picnic table. I recommend 3-5h depending on your fitness level and hiking speed. Start in the morning before it gets too hot. Bring plenty of water, snacks, and wear good shoes. Poles for sure if you have knee problems at all.

Love this mountain! Great cardio

Definietly NOT easy. Was straight up from the parking lot. But the views at the top make it so worth it. Bring lots of water and good shoes.

The Lazy Mountain Trail was a great day hike. It was steep from the parking lot to the first picnic bench, and the trail continued with fewer steep climbing to the summit. The view was amazing!

Hiked both. Should not be grouped together in one page, these are two very different hikes, though close together, and neither are particularly easy. Somebody please fix as there should be separate pages for "Lazy Mountain" and "Matanuska Peak".

Great hike even with the rain. Took Lazy mountain trail up and lazy moose trail down. Very muddy and slippery throughout the climb. Be mindfull of proper attire. I did alright in crocs... but wouldn't recommend relaxed clothing till everything is dried up. Not too cold up top so overall wonderful experience. Straining climb worth the view.

Matanuska Peak trail is quite a climb, but worth the views at the top